Chapter 37

This week dragged on painfully slow. Now it was Friday and Calum said he had a surprise for Grace and me and that he would pick us up tonight for it. I was kind of excited and nervous at the same time because I hate surprises. I swept my hair up into a messy bun and did a natural looking smoky eye for my makeup. I put on my short white dress with my tan blazer and tan wedges. Grace wore a short sleeved gold sparkly top with an orange and brown tribal skirt that was fitted. She left her dark sleek hair down and straightened it. Calum picked us up and brought us to the park where a bunch of people were gathered. “Okay girls here we are. I have to dash, but you two ladies enjoy yourselves.” Calum says before rushing off. Grace and I laugh to ourselves about how awkward that was before I hear Calum’s voice over the speaker. I direct my attention to the stage where Luke, Calum, Michael, and Ashton are on stage. “Thanks everybody for coming out tonight. I’m Calum and we are five seconds of summer and Ashton is on drums. I hope you enjoy our set tonight.” Calum says before the boys start to play. They play a couple of their covers and this time they actually bothered to memorize the lyrics. “Okay now this next song I wrote for one of my best friends who is going through some stuff right now. It’s called ‘Gotta Get Out’ so I hope you all enjoy it.” Calum says before the song starts. “Hey Kaylee did you hear that? He said he wrote this one.” Grace says before I shush her so I can hear the song.

Even when the sky is falling down

Even when the earth is crumbling 'round my feet

Even when we try to say goodbye

And you can cut the tension with a knife in here

Cause I know what'll happen

If we get through this

If the earth ends up crumbling down to it's knees Kaylee

We just gotta get out

If these skyscrapers, tumble down and crash around Kaylee

We just gotta get out

I feel so damn lost

And it comes with the cost of being alone

Everything is falling down

We're suffering, helpless thoughts and

Out we sing, prayers go to the sky

If the earth ends up crumbling down to it's knees Kaylee

We just gotta get out

If these skyscrapers, tumble down and crash around Kaylee

We just gotta get out

If we fall

It's not your fault

Shadows covering

Our selfish foes

As our love,

Can go out on a high note

Even when the sky is falling down

Even when the earth is crumbling 'round my feet

Around my feet

If the earth ends up crumbling down to it's knees Kaylee

We just gotta get out

If these skyscrapers, tumble down and crash around Kaylee

We just gotta get out

If the earth ends up crumbling down to it's knees Kaylee

We just gotta get out

          My mouth fell open. This was really good and it was about me. Me! I look over at Grace and I can tell our brains are on the same page. Calum thanks the crowd for coming tonight and Grace and I rush up to the stage. “So what did you think?” Michael asks us after giving us each a big hug. “You guys were fantastic!” Grace says excitedly. I nod my head vigorously in agreement. “I’m glad you liked it. Want to grab a bite to eat?” Michael asks Grace before they head off together. “Calum your song was brilliant!” I say as soon as I see him. He blushes and thanks me. “So you didn’t mind that it was about you?” he asked. “I mean it was kind of strange having a song written about me with my name even in it.” I say back to him. “Michael suggested that if you didn’t like it that we could always change Kaylee to baby and the song would still work.” Calum says. “Yeah that’s right” I say thinking it through. Calum quickly runs off to take care of some of the take down of the instruments and staging. “Hey Kaylee” I hear Ashton call from behind me. “Ashton how in the world did you get to be part of this?” I ask whipping my head around to face him. “Well as soon as your friends found out that I was a drummer they asked me if I wanted to be part of their plan. I figured that maybe this might help us make amends to our relationship.” Ashton explained. “Actually I went home and thought it all through and I realized that you were telling the truth. I have been meaning to apologize to you.” I say. “Well I’m just glad that we are cool now.” Ashton says before hugging me and heading off to help Calum out. “Did you enjoy the show?” Luke asks me as he makes his way towards me. “Of course. What did you tell all the boys? About my situation?” I ask hoping that he didn’t tell them all. “I just told them that you were having a rough time and that you felt like your world was caving in and that you really wanted to go back home and visit your brother soon.” Luke explained and I breathed a sigh of relief. “When I told the boys that, we all decided that it would be super cool if we did a gig in order to raise funds for you to fly back home to visit your brother. Calum was inspired to write a song about the whole thing and your friend Ashton volunteered to play the drums for the concert tonight.” Luke continues. “Wait so this was all just a fund raiser to get me a flight back home?” I asked making sure I understood everything. “Well all for you and I to fly to America. I am still going with you.” Luke clarifies. “Oh my gosh you guys are the best! Thank you Luke!” I say throwing my arms around him. “So Melody are you ready to get out?” Luke says taking my hand in his.