Chapter 29

Apparently the pain medicine they gave me makes me drowsy, but I fight it hard because I am not going to miss Luke seeing Titanic for the first time. I look over at Grace and she is leaning on Michael. I smile a little and shift my body weight trying to get comfortable. Luke opens up his arms and I sigh and curl up next to him. I really hope I’m not leading him on, but I’m pretty sure I am failing pretty badly. The funny thing about being next to Luke is feeling his muscles react to the scenes. I close my eyes for a second and just listen to the sounds of the movie. I mouth out the words as they are being said and I feel and hear Luke laughing a little at me. I smile up at him and he smiles back at me. I rest my head again and he lays his hand on top of my head. I hear my favorite scene coming on so I pick my head up to watch. I love watching Leonardo DiCaprio’s face when Jack draws Rose. He really should be a bigger star than he is. He is one of my favorite actors even if he is older now. I manage to last through the end of the movie and I sit up and look at my leg. “Hey you guys need to sign my cast. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before.” I say looking at all three of them. “Grace go grab the sharpies from my room would you” I say to Grace before she walks up to my room. “So you and Grace huh” I say to Michael and he just blushes. “Do you like her?” I mouth to him and he indicates that we will talk about this later. “Here is your wonderful sharpie collection” Grace says placing my bag of sharpies on the coffee table. “Sign away” I say motioning for them to sign my cast. Michael signs with a simple ‘MikeyJ’ and Grace signs in her own calligraphy with a pretty flower design. Luke signs with ‘Luke Hemmings’ how boring. “Hey how about we go out and do something fun tonight” I suggest standing up. “Um Kay are you sure that is such a good idea?” Grace says looking down at my leg. “I’m not a freaking cripple okay I can go out and do fun stuff.” I say pulling my crutches under my arms. “Well what exactly did you have in mind?” Michael asks looking skeptical. “I don’t know, but I’m kind of sick of watching movies.” I say walking over to get my jacket. “How about we just go out for a drive. Somewhere out in the middle of nowhere where we can go super fast.” I suggest nearing the door. “Well who is going to drive because you obviously can’t” Luke says being reasonable. “I’ll drive. I know a great place to go. Ashton showed it to me a few months ago.” Grace says twirling around her car keys. They help me out of the house and into the car. I sit shotgun and Grace is driving so the boys sit in the back. Grace fires up her car and puts the top down. She drives us out for about twenty minutes until we reach a little rural area. She cranks up the radio and a total chick song is playing and we all put our hands up and sing along. We keep going for miles and we are racing faster than we should, but I loved the feel of wind on my face. Then Taylor Swift’s I knew you were trouble came on and we all belted it out.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in.

So shame on me now. Flew me to places I’d never been.

‘Til you put me down, oh.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in

So shame on me now. Flew me to places I'd never been

Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground

Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

“Hey how about we go for some food” Michael suggests from the back seat. Grace pulls off on the next exit and we stop at some old diner.