The 2nd of June, 2016

"Last few days of school", I said. "How do you feel?"

"I don't care", Emilia replied nonchalantly.

"How so?" I asked as I ignored someone accidentally hitting me in the back of the head with their tray as they made their way through the chairs and tables of the school cafeteria.

"Everything seems bleak and meaningless", she replied.

"I'm sorry", I said. "It must be terrible to lose a loved one at a time you should be a lot happier".

"Shit doesn't really matter much to me", Emilia answered. I felt a worried for her.

"Well I'm here for you", I replied, hoping it would make some kind of difference in her mood.

"Thanks", Emilia said. I felt very sorry for her. And I felt shame. I had treated her badly, and now her dad died. I felt terrible. I could only imagine how she felt.

"And, um, I'm going to help you through this, and, uh, I-", I traced off. "I wanna be a good friend for you but I feel guilty about how shittily I treated you".

"You are a good friend", Emilia replied. My face lit up a bit. "You've been super supportive and you obviously try very hard. And we're going to be good friends by the end of the summer".

"Really?" I asked. "Sorry if I'm kind of taking the attention for myself, by the way".

"Yes, really", Emilia said. "And it's ok".