Chapter 19: Oblivion

I would just like to take this moment to say i hate windows 8!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ronnie's POV 

Slowly rising from the depths of oblivion, feeling returning to my fingers and toes, I grunted, rolled over and curled up more tightly, hugging my knees between my arms. It almost felt like someone had landed their foot right in my stomach. There was a dull pain radiating from my entire body and numbness enveloped my right arm. I know that I wasn't home or even at Ocean's since the air was heavy and hot. Sweat dipped down my back and my shirt stuck to my skin. 

I sat up and a sharp stabbing sensation went through my back and I buckled over. My forehead was on from what I could tell a rock and I realized I had the taste of iron in my mouth. After a moment of pain, awareness flashed through my brain. I was not in my comfort zone, this was strange and in some ways a frightening place. So many thoughts scrambled themselves to the surface of my brain and my panic was such that a thin film of perspiration began to form on my brow and upper lip. Fear was setting in and there was nothing that could stop it, no comforting words or thoughts, nothing reassuring came to mind. 

My head cleared and I used my hand to push myself up off the ground. One... Two... Three...  

The struggle was intense but I managed to stay upright. My legs served as logs, two pieces of wood that were stiff and unmovable. Once I got my bearings I quickly scanned the landscape and found that the sky high gates stood closed, I was sweating bullets as I walked closer. The lump in my throat grew as I pushed through. These gates that frightened me down to my very core were as I came to realize an entryway into another world.  

I looked up and I had to wonder if the sun had completed its round for the day. The vast expanse of inky blackness darkened as the sky went on. The sun had to have long disappeared underneath the horizon since it was now replaced with thousands of stars. The darkness seemed terrifying and yet somehow inviting simultaneously. A low full moon hovered almost effortlessly in the sky but the thing that scared me the most was that the moon was a blood red. 

I'd never seen a blood red moon before only a harvest moon and those are only seen during Halloween. I could feel the fear within me rise up gaining speed as it did. I walked as carefully and slowly as possible down what I thought was the path it looked like it was made with the bones of humans. Screams filled the empty, hot, humid air; they seemed to be all around, creeping up on me like death itself. I jumped feeling as though I couldn't breathe, all the air in my lungs was being sucked out.  

I was standing there looking and expecting my surroundings when I started feeling weird. I felt really light headed, too light headed to even stand. My heart began to race as my chest tightened; it felt as if the center of my head -- right behind my nasal cavity -- was being pulled. Black spots clouded my vision as a rushing ringing sound entered my hearing. My vision was fuzzy, and my head was swimming and then my surroundings blurred together. 

I lost my footing and it seemed like I was falling down a dark hole, my death waiting at the end of the tunnel. I could see from the small openings from my hair, my arms trying desperately to grab a hold of something. Everything went pitch black, I felt like I had been sucked through a hole. Being deprived of oxygen darkness took me over. I couldn't tell you how long I was out for or even where I am, all I know is that the only pain I feel is in the back of my head. 

I tried to move but my body was telling me it was no use. I can't feel my own body, it's like a thousand weights holding me down; keeping me on the ground or at least what I thought was ground. This place, this hell is one of the darkest places I have ever been and there is a smell. An odor of almost burning flesh assaulted my sense of smell. I closed my eyes; I tried to concentrate on moving my limbs.