Chapter 22: Ghosts

Chapter 22

Doctor D. allowed me to stay in the room with Ronnie. He thought if she would have another freak out then I was the one who could calm her down. It had been a few hours since and she hadn't woken, which wasn't freaking out anyone but myself.

“Can you hear her?” Trace asked from the doorway.

“Nope and it's really freaking me out.” I responded to him.

“It could just be that the medication is blocking it!” he said coming more into the room.

“I don't know but I feel as though something is really wrong Trace.” I said looking up to my best friend. “And I know that no one is feeling the way I am right now but I am telling you, something is wrong!”

“What do you want us to do Ocean? I mean I can call Selena but you know she can only do so much. No one has seen Read or Ezra so we're kind of stuck.”

“I know, I know, I know.” I said rubbing my forehead. My stress level was rising and I was starting to get a headache.

“If you need to get out of here, you know we all we understand!” I hated hospitals, hated the way they smelled, hated feeling I was around sickness and death. “Dave and Ronnie's mom left said they had to deal with something but Milo is still here and he's not leaving, so seriously don't think that if you leave nobody will be here. I know you didn't get any sleep last night and right now I would rather you go home and sleep then be a zombie waiting around here for something to happen.” Trace spoke “We are all worried, it's not just you but God Ocean since she came into our lives you have been putting your health on the back burner. You're not eating, you're not sleeping and it's making us miserable including you.”

I hadn't realized that I was staring at my shoes until I looked up to look at Trace. He had been my best friend for as long as I could remember but not once had he spoke to me like that. He was mad I most definitely knew that once I saw how he was standing. When Trace was mad you knew because he would lean up against the nearest wall, place the bottom of his foot against the wall as well and cross his arms across his chest.

“Seriously Ocean I would rather you go get some sleep like a normal person instead of waiting around here as though something will happen. She....” he said pointing to the sleeping form on the bed. “Is obviously not waking up tonight. And it's not doing you any good to sit there like a zombie all night.”

“What do you want me to do Trace, I don't think I could sleep even if I ask God himself to bring it to me. I am too stressed out right now to sleep, my mind is running a thousand miles an hour and it hasn't stopped.”

“What the hell is going on in here?” I look over to see Dave and Trace's dad standing in the doorway.

“Ocean and I were just having an argument.” Trace said pulling his foot off the wall. The two adults just stared at us.

“Trace you have school tomorrow?” he asked as through a question.

“Yes.”

“Then what are you still doing here? Go home, do your homework, and get some sleep. You too Ocean.”

“But..”

“No buts Ocean, I know I’m not your father or your brother but trust me when I say she's not waking up for a while so there is no point in either of you being here.” He said as he check her vital signs. I watched as Trace walked out the door and Dave enter. He came in and sat down in the chair on the opposite side of the bed.

“You have 5 minutes Ocean then I expect you to go home.” Mr. Davenport said as he walked out. My full attention was on Ronnie trying to magically make her wake up.