Chapter 10: Secrets For You and Me

I stood in our living room with my back against the wall and my arms crossed over my chest. My father sat on the only couch there and Ronnie was in the kitchen making three cups of hot chocolate. It was taking Ronnie forever and I was getting more uncomfortable by the minute. My father looked the same since the last time I saw him; the same brown eyes and brown hair, he still was wearing the same style of clothes and the same genius smile played at the corners of his face. He tried to smile at me but I didn't return the gesture.  

"Her hair is so dark. When did she do that?" my father asked looking at me. I stared at him wondering if I should answer. This man really didn't need to know anything about our lives after he went and deserted us. I looked down to the floor then back to my father. 

"When she was 15." I said glaring at him. God he screwed up his children big time.  

"Is that when she started wearing all the black?" he asked  

"Im not making small talk with you." I said "But if you really want to know... no she started after you left. You're just lucky that you never have to see her with all her piercing in." I said remembering when she came home one night with all of them in. I always thought she did that because of our dad, that it was her way of punishing herself for him leaving. I glad she stopped getting her face pierced every time she had money. She doesn't even wear all of them anymore just three of the ear ones and her lip ones. I looked to my father who had his head down.  

"I guess you're not playing anymore" he said stating it more than asking  

"Ok one I know that's not what you wanted to ask and two no." I said praying Ronnie would come out soon.  

"Why are you not?"  

"I'll answer that when you ask the question." I said knowing that he wasn't going to ask the question. 

"I was just going to ask if.....never mind." he said. I was watching my father very closely when Ronnie came in to the room holding the cups. She came around to me first and handed me the white chipped cup one then sat the other white cup on the table in front of her and my father. Ronnie sat down in the chair horizontal to the couch and drank her hot chocolate silently. I could tell she had so many questions swirling inside her mind that she wanted to ask our father. 

I never told Ronnie that I watched our father leave that night, never did I tell her that I ran for miles at the age of 13 after our father in the dead of night while she slept and our mother went out and stayed out all night. Never will I tell her that I cried for days afterwards.  

"What are you doing here dad?" I asked holding my anger back. I came over to my sister and sat next to her.  

"I can't see my kids?" he stated more then asked. I stared at him "How could he ask that..."  

"It's been almost 7 years father, 7 years you never once came to see us." Ronnie said glaring at the man that was supposed to be our father. Our father stared at Ronnie, his eyes showed disappointment and maybe a little empathy. "I know I don't deserve to be called your dad....I left you both when you were so young and neither one of you deserved that."  

"What do you want?" I asked as I sat the cup onto the table.  

"I just want to be your father again, I don't even care if im not blood related to either one of you." He said looking towards Ronnie then me. Ronnie and I exchanged glances at each other then back to the man sitting in front of us 

"What are you talking about?" Ronnie asked shaking her head back and forth. The look on both of our faces must have gave our father the realization that he knew something that neither one of us knew.