Chapter 11: Change Is Gonna Come

Ronnie's POV  

"Wait what?" Ashley asked from the other side of my computer screen  

"Do I really have to repeat myself Ash?" I asked looking at her  

"Im just freaking out, I mean what do I say?" My best friend said throwing her hands in the air.  

"What are you doing to do? What'd you say?" Collin asked from the background while he tried to pick out a tie.  

"What else. It's been 7 years since he left, not a phone call, no anything. I said I never wanted to see him ever again. Why are you picking out a tie?" I asked.  

"We're going out to dinner at this nice place they just opened." Ashley said. "And he's more nervous than I."  

"Collin if you're going to wear the blue shirt then the black one would look better. And you won't believe what he told us about us." I said getting up from my desk and lying on my bed.  

"What?" both of them asked as Collin turned to the screen.  

"Well apparently Milo is adopted and Dave is my blood dad." I said as fast as I could.  

"Are you serious Ronnie?" Collin said in a very serious tone. All I did was shake my head yes.  

"What are you going to do, or say to...."  

"I don't know Ash; I really don't. I have way too much on my plate right now and I just don't think I can handle this." I said "I wish you guys were here." 

"Awww that makes me feel all warm inside, but seriously you don't want us there." Ashley said snapping the bracelet I got her for her birthday last year.  

"And you've been able to handle everything so far fine so don't sweat it Ronnie; everything will work out. I promise" Collin said  

"I guess that's my cue to log off, have fun on your date." I rolled my eyes "But not too much fun."  

"Bye Ronnie I'll talk to you later." Collin said  

"Whatever" I said hitting the end conversation button.  

I rolled backed onto my bed letting my head rest on my black pillow as I looked up to my ceiling. My mind just couldn't comprehend everything that had conspired today and im pretty sure once my mother hears about me getting detention for skipping class and literally telling off Dalton during lunch im going to be inside the dog house. The rain had picked up again and I could hear it thudding against the roof of my bedroom as lightning and thunder rolled in. it felt like I had laid there for eternity thinking about well my not so father after all. I thought back to the night he left; the night of my 12th birthday and the night I would forever hold in my memories. Everything had been perfect all my friends come over and I got the best gifts any 12 year old could want, the theme had been Alice in Wonderland everyone had to dress up as one of the characters and of course I was Alice. That had been the best birthday ever and pretty much my last. I never wanted a party for my birthday after my dad left and I always got what I wanted. Of course I would get a cake and presents but I never made a big deal out of it, it was just a day that made you a year older. 

I was brought out of my thoughts when my stomach began to growl at me. I just remembered that I never got to eat dinner but I wanted to know if what Ashley said had any truth to it. I really wondered if my mother could hide the fact that my father was sending us stuff all along; I wondered if what my father said was the truth, if Milo could really be adopted and if Dave was really my biological father. So many things had occurred within two months and I had a feeling that it wasn't going to stop. I rolled off my bed and grabbed my jacket.