Chapter 12: Liars And Monsters

Ronnie's POV 

I awoke jolting upright from my covers on my bed. Once again I had a nightmare but this one was very different. My head was hurting and the sweat was dripping from my forehead; I felt feverish. With the feeling that everything was coming back up I ran into the bathroom. I had thrown up twice and no sooner than I did everything changed; my bathroom was now the entrees into a large ballroom. People were dancing around and around in the center of the room and some were sitting at the white covered tables talking and laughing. The stage was filled with a band and a conductor waving the stick up and down back and forth. The band from what I could tell was playing a soft melody while the dancers bowed to one other and switched partner.  

"Katerina, I am your father and you will marry who I say you will." I heard coming from behind me. I turned to see a girl not more than 17 standing before me.  

"Father I love you dearly but I will not marry Aric." Katerina said. "He's not my true love." The girl's blonde hair had been made into small ringlets at the middle of the girls back and she had been dressed as though she was from the 18 hundreds maybe more. Katerina had her hands around the skirt of her dress holding it so she didn't trip over the hem. "Father please, marrying Aric would not make me happy. My heart belongs to another." She said bringing her hand to the necklace around her neck.  

"I am your father Katerina Isobel Lawson, you will obey me." The father said.  

"Or what, you'll disown me like you did Kaitlyn? Father she found her true love. Why cannot you give me your blessing?" she asks. I can tell she's begging with her father; she was on the verge of tears. Im glad to see even back then girls fought with their fathers about boys.  

"You are forbidden from seeing that Danvers boy." The father said as another song begins to play from the inside of the room. "The Founder's song, Katerina its time to find your place in this world and that's to become a wife and a mother. GO and dance." The blonde hair girl turned my way and walked into the ball room. She walked right past me without even noticing I was there. Her head was bowed down in defeat knowing that she would never get her father to understand. I saw her walk to the center where the others were standing waiting for a partner. This girl Katerina was placed in the middle with a boy who had on a black suit with a bow tie and a black mask covering his face. He was tall from what I could tell; he stood just a few inches taller than the girl who I assumed had heels on. She had on a simple red dress almost like the one my mother picked out when we found out about the stupid ball and she had on a white laced mask. The white and red really didn't go in my opinion but then again I always wore black.  

The dance began and the Founders danced bowing to each other before taking each other's hands. I only watched a little before my attention was drawn to a woman in the corner talking to another woman. I walked over to them expecting them to look at me and ask who I was but they did not.  

"The prophecy says the girl will dance with her true love tonight." The one of them said. She had a blue dress on that looked a size too small for her and the other had a green one that looked like puke to me.  

"It also says her sister didnt run away with that boy but I don't believe such lies." The other woman said. "No one has found their soul mates with that dance since Henry the 8th became king of England.  

"Poor girl she should have ran away when her sister did." Then they both began to laugh.  

"What the hell?" I thought. Just then the whole room filled with gasps and all eyes were drawn to the center where the girl Katerina and the boy stood while some of the other dances were helping their partners up from the floor. The music had also stopped, what the hell was going on? Katerina then looked my way and the room vanished with all the people and the music. Her eyes sliced with mine the same empty grey look back at me. Katerina was only a few inches away from me now; she looked me up and down.