Oh, I'm mad: Part 37

Tia POV

'Seriously?' he mused inwardly, I smiled across at him and pulled myself closer to him, his fur was so long it almost covered me like one of my old blankets.

"Yup...but would you prefer a Bratz blankie?" I teased, grinning into him, as we continued our exchange.

'Do you want me to change back?' he asked acidly. I shook my head vehemently and hugged his neck, clinging to it from behind.

"No way!! You look so cool! And you're so toasty!" I pleaded, burying my head into his fur memorising the calming warmth coming from him.

'Wow, you never cease to amaze me.' He stated relaxing his body a bit allowing me to lie comfortably on his stomach. He curled his legs in as if cocooning me from the wind.

"Hmm...why do you say that?" I mused, absentmindedly stroking his fur. He was silent for a second, then he released a low huff almost a half laugh.

' You're not only, not terrified of me, you're also likening me to a Winnie the Pooh Blanket. It's as if you've no idea what I am.' I frowned in his chest, pausing briefly from combing through his hair.

'What are you?'

'I'm a monster—killer—don't you recall any of these phrases?' he stated, I bit my lip.

'You've killed-yes...you've a questionable personality—right on—but you're no monster.' This time he laughed.

'I've a questionable personality?' he asked curiously.

'Hell yeah! I can never know what you're thinking—or why the hell you're doing something, it's frustrating!' Jayden laughed again, and I could feel his body vibrate from the tremor.

'Wow—this from the girl who tracked me 20,000 miles, but only God knows how,' I hummed slightly in response.

'Well it wasn't really that hard—when the world's so filled with so many helpful appliances,' I said, explaining how his old cell phone sold him out.

'You're kidding—that's your ability's power?' he half laughed again, 'Wow—talk about raw luck, that your one in a million ability could lead you two straight to me,' he finished in disbelief. I chewed my lip slightly as a few moments passed with silence hanging in the air.

'So you're mad...' I asked, grasping on his fur slightly feeling the need for reassurance haunt me, as I remembered all of the trouble, I'd found us in.

'Oh, I'm mad,' he confirmed, 'But more at me not being able to stop this,' I squirmed finally remembering my initial reason for being there, I was mad at him, I thought, forgetting my earlier sorrows only to be filled by anger again.

'Well, it was slightly due to how you acted a while ago.' He stiffened under me.

'How I acted?' he asked shock tinting his voice, probably hinting at my slight flaws, I ignored him, and glared instead.

'Esther and Sherry—what the hell's up with—that," I stammered, I could feel the same hurt from the time start to overwhelm me again, and I fought to control the feelings of betrayal that bubbled under me. I bit my lip, and glared angrily cross at him, "If you think I'm going to comply with the cowardly rules you go by, then think again—no way will I abandon my family/friends just for my own skin!"

'Do you honestly think I did that for my own flipping skin!?' he countered.

'To keep your job sure,' I spat back.

'If I didn't keep that job, Steph would have died a long time ago!' he growled, silencing me at last. I could feel my body freeze from shock, how the hell do these connect?

Jayden POV

"What do you mean 'died a long time ago'?" she asked, sitting upright now to look at my face. I grit my teeth.

'My sister has a terminal disease,' I stated, she blinked dumbfounded for a second, 'Which quite inconveniently she's unable to heal herself.' I finished laughing humourlessly. She cringed.

"Does that have to do with why Steph said you were only fighting for her?" she asked. I slightly cringed at the thought, I didn't like where this was going...I thought, still finding myself answering her question.

' The E-elites...hold a medicine which can pro-long her life—four years ago they made a deal with me to work for them and in return...' I trying to sound indifferent as she shivered beneath me slightly,' I'd get revenge and my sister wouldn't die— so I worked—and became a killer,' Tia bit her lip, then opened her mouth as if to say something only to closed it again, and then try again.

"Revenge for what?" she questioned.

'The death of my parents and infecting my sister with her illness,' I replied, I could hear the acid in my thoughts, burning through the exchange we were having as the memories flashed back in—racking me with the same self hate and darkness I lived in for the past 4 years. As if sensing it, I could feel her hands tighten around my fur only to release it again and stroke my fur gently. Instantly at her touch I could feel my anger start to lift.

"What happened...?" she asked, her voice trailing off patiently waiting for me to answer, as she stroked my fur gently. I hated thinking about my past—I loathed talking about it, I wouldn't even talk to Steph about it, it made me feel weak and Tia had been right when she met me. I was weak, I just wanted to feel I had power over someone—something, but in truth my life always ended up in some messed up crap! And admitting it makes me feel even weaker.