Chapter 20 - Hot Coal

"To use our conscious thoughts as an elite," Jayden recited walking across the room boredly, as if he repeated this a hundred times to numerous pupils. Steph didn't seem to care and nodded enthusiastically. "You have to connect with the part of the brain that is opened only to elites, and be able to stay connected using your consciousness. To do these tasks firstly you have to get familiar with connecting, it's different for different people and can be likened to a maze. So until you memorize the correct path to connect, it'll take a while. Also to stay connected..." he said pausing, his eyes now transfixed on me. I nodded once so he'd know I was paying attention, as if on cue he continued, "You must always keep your conscious thoughts focused, in order to use elite powers." His mouth arched slightly, "I will repeat once again...always stay f-o-c-u-s-e-d," he enunciated slowly as if to burn the words into my skull. I didn't even have time to react to his meticulous warning, no sooner had the words left his lips; he pounced towards me.

I threw my arms instinctively to guard my face and wedged my eyes shut. No sooner had I done that, it felt as if a bolt hit my heart directly, draining me completely of all my rich, flowing energy replacing it with a cold, desolate feeling. My arms lowered and eyes opened automatically, entranced by this new feeling of hollowness. The first thing I saw was a too close Jayden, frowning down on top of me, and a bit to my left a still surprised Stephanie. As usual he wasn't concerned about personal boundaries; I thought slightly trying to discourage the blush from rising to my face. Instinctively I shrank back into the couch as much as humanly possible, cautiously avoiding his eyes, and displeased disposition.

"What...?" I voiced weakly, barely willing to hear what was annoying him now. He rolled his eyes, then bounced back up from leaning over me and released a tired groan as he ran his hand ruthlessly through his hair. I blinked cluelessly, as his frame stalked away from me in annoyance. Okay...plan b, I thought directing my curious eyes to Steph since she would more likely give me an answer. Bothering with him would be a waste of time, and trust me I know my battles, and this wasn't one with Jayden I needed, I deemed.

"You're back to normal again." she stated plainly. I bit my lip, while looking up at Jayden as it dawned on me. Ah...that's why he's upset...I wasn't focused..., I reasoned. Although...suddenly a sense of annoyance took over.

"Isn't that your fault?! Who on earth told you to just jump someone like that, all of a sudden? Ever heard about personal boundaries!?" I argued, wiping any feelings of guilt away. He looked incredulous for a moment and then retorted.

"It's a test. That's why—I told you to always stay focus," he murmured annoyance ringing clear in his voice, "Ya' know always-- like despite what happens."

" And I'm suppose to do it just like that, you haven't taught me anything!" I shot back in disbelief. I could feel his fury fuelling me on, then a devilish smirk broke out on his lips.

"I'm sorry," he said with fake sweetness, "I was kind of hoping you would at least have the focus necessary to stay in elite form. Little did I know you had an attention span of a five year old?!" I growled at him.

"But you even disturbed Stephanie—and she's been at this longer!" Jayden released a hollow laugh, as he dramatically held his head.

" Great—you're comparing yourself to a ten year old that acts like three when she's ready. I can see you've got some high aspirations." Sarcasm lined his voice, and from the corner of my eye I could tell Steph took offense to that statement also. I grimaced, but it's not like I've something to combat that—in any case that's not even the point, right?

" No matter what you say I'm not going to learn crap if you keep kicking me out of the elite form, so don't do it ," Jayden raised his brow curiously at my statement, " please" I added through clenched teeth, practically feeling like I was tasting dirt by saying please to him. Although I'd prefer doing this than getting that dreadful shock that came when I was smacked out of elite form, even doing this hurts less.