11

The silence in the car is deafening. He doesn't say another word even when you get out.

"Thanks," you say softly and he speeds off the highway without looking at you. 

You sigh and walk in your office and see your boss behind your desk. 

"Bel!" He stands up and goes to you. "Are you ok?" 

"I'm fine, Reno. I'm sorry about that jerk last night." 

"Why's he so mad, anyway?" 

"I don't know either...he's just...crazy." You sit on your chair and turn on your laptop. 

"Hey...if there's anything I can help you with...just tell me, ok?" Reno puts his hands on the desk and leans over to you. 

"Sure, thanks, Reno." You give him a weak smile and start scanning your emails. 

As soon as Reno leaves, you take your phone and dial your dad's number. 

"Dad? You told me to call?"

"Yes...I heard you got a job. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Oh...just slipped my mind. Anyway...is that why you wanted to talk to me?"

"No...actually, there's a package here for you. From Australia. Want me to send it to you?"

"No...that's ok. I'll come over the weekend."

"That's great. Take JB with you if he's not busy."

"Sure thing."

Yes...a reason for you to get out of the thick air of the city. Away from Mark for a while. Your mood lightens and you finish half of your work when your boss comes in.

"Let's go get some lunch." 

Tess welcomes you with a wide smile as you enter her cafe. 

"The special?", she asks. 

"Yes, please." Reno looks at you.

"Me, too," you tell Tess. 

"Feeling better?" Reno really looks concerned. Your smiles might not be deceiving him. 

"Yeah. Sure."

"You don't look it, Bel. What's bothering you?"

The fact that you slept with Mark again last night...that's what's bothering you. Also, he told you he wants a relationship? The fuck! 

You just shake your head. 

"Too personal to share?" 

"I'm sorry. I'm not a good company." You tell him, realizing he's trying to make a conversation.

"That's fine, I don't mind the boring silence," his sarcastic tone makes you smile. 

"When did you put up this company?" You want your mind off anything about Mark. 

"Four years ago. I came back to Korea from the US with the dedication to be independent from my parents. My sister helped me start it."

Tess comes with your orders. 

"And I owe her everything for that," he looks up at his sister lovingly and she smiles back. 

He seems like a really sweet person. He cares for his job and his family. His passion for his work is undeniable and you find yourself admiring him for it. 

"So, how about you?" He looks at you showing interest on what you are going to say. 

"What about me?"