Acting

They were acting, alright. He could tell that Maine is getting good with this as she can cry anytime, any given script with or without audience. Sometimes, he thought, where Maine is getting her emotions. Is she also thinking about sad things just like him? Or does she imagine them as reality?

"Cut." Direk Pat announced. She spoke to her earphone and stood up. She held the rolled script on her hand and was supposed to ask the cameraman with another set of directions when she saw Maine continously crying. She smiled to herself.

"Uy...cut na daw sabi ni Direk." RJ touched Maine's hand. He was still lying on the makeshift hospital bed. "Anong nangyari Maine?" He softly asked. Maine could cry anytime but not like this. It was like her tears won't stop. It continuously ran slowly down her cheeks.

Maine looked at their joined hands. She didn't bother wiping her face as she found them useless. She sniffed. "Wala lang. Nakakalungkot ang kwentong 'to talaga."

RJ smiled to her. He squeezed her hand and pulled himself up to sit. He peered on her face. "Ang galing mo nga eh. Malamang nyan nadadala na naman ang audience sa acting mo."

Maine smiled sadly. She sniffed again. "Alam mo Shoks, naiisip ko, what if mangyari 'to sa atin?"

RJ was caught off-guard. He was quiet for a full minute, simply brushing his thumb over Maine's hand. Maine snorted and pulled her hand. "Tigilan na nga natin 'to. Tara na, tumayo ka na dya--"

"Hindi ko gusto ang ginawa ni Anselmo sa totoo lang. Ayokong iaaasa n'ya ang lahat ng desisyon kay Nidora. Hindi pwedeng si Nidora lang ang lalaban. Eh ano naman kung mamamatay na siya? Kung ako lang din si Anselmo--I mean, sa totoong buhay-- gagawin ko ang lahat makasama lang ang mahal ko. Hinding-hindi ako susuko."

"Hindi naman sumuko si Anselmo ah? Nakita mo naman, ginawa n'ya ang lahat."

"Hindi lahat Maine. Hindi n'ya kinausap ang Doña. 'Yung dalawa lang sila. Kahit ba ipagulpi ng Doña Zobeyala si Anselmo, kung talagang dapat ipaglaban ang pagmamahal n'ya kay Nidora, dapat sumige pa din s'ya. Napakadaming paraan para maging masaya ang kwentong ito."

Maine stared at RJ. She saw that he was blushing again (his ears rather) and she suddenly found everything funny. And so she laughed.

RJ was caught off-guard again. "Ayos. Biglang tumawa." RJ scratched his head in disbelief.

Maine wiped her face. "Sorry...sorry. Mas naging seryoso ka pa kasi sa'ken. Nakakatawa 'yung mukha mo."

"Ah ganon? Paano kung sakaling ako nga talaga si Anselmo? Mabuntis ka't mamamatay na ako?"

Maine's breath hitched. It was her turn now to be quiet. A minute or two passed and RJ thought that Maine won't answer the question. He was about to stand up when Maine pulled his arms.

"Di din ako susuko. Paglalaban kita. Pero kung sakaling mawala ka, mabubuhay ako para sa anak natin." Maine unconsciously touched the bump on her stomach. A rolled towel under her dress tightly bound by rubberband on her back. "Pero RJ, sa panahon natin ngayon, maraming doctors na magccheck sa'yo. Kahit maubos ang ipon ko gagawin ko ang lahat, mabuhay ka lang."

RJ's blushed. A full-blown crimson that almost reached his neck. He stared at Meng, speechless. Maine raised her brows, as if questioning RJ's reaction. She replayed her answer inside her head and when she realized what she said, she stuttered.

"Pero siyempre diba? Aktingan lang 'to. Don't take it seriously! Hahahaha! Tara na talaga. Tayò ka na d'yan." Maine was about to leave. RJ held her up and he touched her elbows.

"Maine...walang aktingan sa'ting dalawa diba?" RJ tentatively asked her. His voice, filled with silent worry, reached Maine's sensitive ears.

Maine turned around facing RJ. She smiled reassuringly back. 'Whatever happens Shoks, hinding-hindi ako umaarte. 'Pag tayong dalawa, sa'ting dalawa, lahat totoo."

RJ's eyes crinkled as he heard those words. He so wanted to jump off the hospital bed and embrace her but the fake IV was still attached on his hand. He contented himself in giving back the brightest smile he could muster. He knew that every inch of the stretched muscles on his face expressed what his lips and body could not.

Maine outdid him though. She touched his forehead and ran her point-finger down the bridge of his nose. Silence ensued. Those kind of silence that only the two of them could understand.

"Ano na?" Direk Pat approached them and placed her hands on her hips. Her voice sounded stern but belied by her understanding smile.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Hello. The banner above were screenshots while I was watching replay. This side of story has been on my mind for awhile and I really, really, really wished that I gave 'em justice. Thanks for all the follows, votes and comments! Sobrang-sobrang thank you po! ^_^v