Chapter 14

Scott's pov

I found myself dreaming
in silver and gold
Like a scene from a movie
that every broken heart knows
We were walking on moonlight
And you pulled me close
Split second disappeared and then
I was all alone.

I listened intently to the angelic sound of Mitch's voice as I focused on the beat boxing I was doing. Man, he's really good. I know I've heard him sing a lot but he never fails to impress me, and I made sure he knew it every time I thought about it.

I woke up in tears
With you by my side.

Well that sounds familiar to the whole nightmare scenario that happened the other night.

A breath of relief
And I realized
No, we're not promised tomorrow.

So I'm gonna love you
like I'm gonna lose you
I'm gonna hold you
like I'm saying goodbye wherever we're standing

I really am curious with all of Mitch's song choices. They're all so sad. He doesn't seem like a sad guy but I mean I haven't known him that long so I'm not fully aware of his life.

We finished up the song and grabbed the cup then ducked into the alley. Mitch was the one to count the money, as usual. We've been doing this for about a week I think and the routine has become set. Our friends come over in the morning and we have a quick snack, we head out to the street and sing, count the money then decide what we need and spend as little as possible (in case we need something in the future), then we part ways.

"$56.27" Mitch stated and looked up at us. The money is close to the same every day and we're not complaining about how much it is.

"What do we need?" Alex asked the group.

"We're running low on water and small snacks would be nice." Kirstie said.

"Then lets do that." I said and started walking out into the street. Everyone followed and we walked in silence until I got an idea. "Have you guys ever thought about what life would be like if we made it off the streets?"

"Well obviously." Kirstie said sassily and I glared at her.

"I mean, I haven't even been here long but I do want to be back in a house and all." Mitch announced. I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and gave him a small squeeze when I noticed the colour drain from his face. He must be thinking about his family and his old home. When I looked up, Kirstie was smirking at us and I rolled my eyes at her.

"Hear me out you guys. We get like 50 dollars a day on average right?" Everyone nodded in agreement and I continued on. "Our street isn't even that busy. What if we find a main street, one with more people that walk by everyday. And maybe we could perform twice a day, once in the morning and again during rush hour."

"I-I don't know Scott." Mitch said quietly.

"But we could get more money and save up to get some sort of shelter, even if it's a tent and a spot at the camp grounds, anything is better than where we are now. And we would all be together. Baby steps." I responded.

"That could actually work." Kirstie spoke up.

"I guess if it would help." Mitch said in the same small tone.

"Yeah! Let's do it!" Alex seemed very excited.

"Okay. So it's settled? We're gonna get out of here?" I asked and grinned very wide.

"Yeah!" The duo said in sync while Mitch just nodded along.

I think he's just scared of the crowd. He'll get over it soon enough.

We got to the grocery store and walked around until we found a box of granola bars, a few bottles of water, 2 boxes of cereal and a chocolate bar. If I was told only 3 months ago that I'd be having this much food, let alone be buying it with money that my friends and I earned, I'd laugh in the face of whoever told me. But look at us now.