Chapter 9

Scott's pov

"I can help."

"What?"

"I can help you get money so you're not supporting the both of us by yourself."

"And how are you going to help?"

"Duets. Or I can beatbox for you."

"Wait. You can sing?"

"According to my friends I can."

"Let me hear!"

"I don't know Mitch."

"You've heard me sing."

"You weren't very happy about it."

"It's a personal thing."

"Maybe it is for me too."

"Well if you want to help you have to show me eventually so we can arrange something."

"Ugh. Fine."

I cleared my throat and quickly thought of a song to sing.

Wise men say,
only fools rush in.
But I can't help falling in love with you.
Shall I stay,
would it be a sin
if I can't help falling in love with you.

Like a river flows,
surely to the sea,
darling so it goes,
some things are meant to be.
Take my hand,
take my whole life too.
For I can't help falling in love with you.

I stopped there because that is all he needed to hear, I didn't need to do the whole song. I sang the version that Twenty One Pilots did rather than the original because that's the one I listened to most recently so it was engraved in my mind like that.

"Damn Scott." That's all he said after I finished.

I smiled and asked him, "Good damn?"

"Good damn." He confirmed that he liked it which made my smile grow even bigger.

"So I can help you?"

"I don't see why not." He said after a second of thinking.

"Cool!" I said a little too excited.

*****

Mitch and I walked down the street together, we were headed down to see Kirstie and Alex. Over the past couple weeks, Mitch has become less and less shy around them and he's starting to finally act like he does around me which is nice to see. I envy Mitch in the friend department. It took me so long to find these 2 idiots and Mitch already has 3 friends, including me. Like seriously he's been on the streets for probably like a month or so now, not fair.

"Hey guys!" we greeted the two with hugs.

"Whatcha got there Scott?" Alex asked me, referring to the plastic bag I had in my hand.

"Oh right! I come bearing food."

"Oh you know I love food!" Alex joked.

"Here." I handed Alex the bag and him and Kirstie looked through and seemed very please with the load of 3 oranges, 4 bottles of water, 2 apples and about 5 pieces of bread.

"Damn boys, this is impressive," Kirstie commented, "how on earth did you manage to get all this?"

"Mitch over here has a good hobby that brings in quite a bit of cash."

"Really? What is it!" Kirstie asked eagerly.

I looked over at Mitch and he hesitantly nodded as approval to tell them about his singing. I briefly explained what he does and Alex and Kirstie looked very impressed.

"Actually," I started talking again, "we were arranging something together, you guys wanna hear it?"

"Uh duh!" Alex said excitedly.

Mitch and I spent quite some time earlier trying to figure out what song to do and we finally settled on Dear No One by Tori Kelly because apparently we are both obsessed with her.

I looked at Mitch and started to do the beat of the song so he could start singing.

I like being independent,
not so much of an investment.
No one to tell me what to do.
I like being by myself,
don't gotta entertain anybody else.
No one to answer to.

We sang the whole song and the entire time I was amazed with Mitch's voice, it's just so gorgeous. When we finished both Alex and Kirstie started clapping.

"You like it?" I asked them.

"It was great!" They said in sync then gave each other a funny look which made us all laugh.

"I think you're missing something though." Kirstie added on to her previous statement.

"And what would that be?" Mitch asked her.

"An a cappella band isn't a band without a third person."

"We don't have 3 peo-" Mitch started but I cut him off.

"Oh yeah! Mitch," he shifted his attention over to me, "Kirstie can sing! How could I have forgotten that."

"Wait really?" Mitch said.

"I've been told I don't suck." Kirstie joked and we all laughed.

"That's perfect! We will start a 3 person a cappella group!" I chimed in.

"Unless..." Mitch started talking and looked over at Alex and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah, I can't sing, trust me." Alex added and both Kirstie and I nodded in agreement. "But, I can offer my skills as a dancer!" Kirstie and I laughed and Kirstie commented on that.

"Yeah, I wouldn't take him up on that offer." Mitch laughed.

"Oh, well 3 people is plenty. Let's start practising!" Mitch exclaimed, he seemed very happy about this which made me very happy about this.