Chapter 25

Scott's pov

As we walked out to our regular spot by Starbucks, Kirstie started up a conversation with me. "So you and Mitch are like totally dating, right?"

"Woah what?" Did Mitch tell her that?

"Seriously Noodle?"

"It's a nickname, get over it."

"You're joking! You two have to be dating. Like honestly, the tickling, the nickname, the cuddling."

"We're just friends Kirst."

"I've never seen you act like that with Alex and you've known him a lot longer."

I mean, I guess she does have a point, doesn't she? For some reason, this conversation is making me a bit upset.

"No Kirst, that doesn't mean I'm dating Mitch."

I walked ahead of the pack and left Kirstie at the back. I heard Mitch walk up beside me but he didn't say anything. He could probably tell I wanted to cool off. I felt his small hand reach up and he intertwined his fingers with mine. I looked down and realized he was already looking up at me. I gave him a weak smile that he returned.

"Starting with Cheerleader, right?" I asked the group to which they all nodded. "Okay. 5, 4, 3, 2."

Mitch began by singing the starting notes, with perfection may I add, then Avi came in and the rest of the song unfolded.

A small group was gathered around us by the time we had finished and there was a couple dollars in the previously empty Starbucks cup. They all applauded as we discussed about the next song, Rather Be.

We finished Rather Be and went on to sing another popular song, Royals. By the time we finished, there was an even bigger crowd and the cup was nearly overflowing with bills. Once the crowd dispersed, Mitch picked up the cup and we all ducked into the alley. We explained how we spent the money as a while group benefit thing to Avi and Kevin and their response was very positive.

"Okay, before I count this, can I say something?" Mitch asked and we all nodded. "So, last time we brought this up I got scared but I think it's a good idea. This looks like a lot of money. If we just move to a busier street, there's possibility that we could get more and get off the street."

This worries me. I know he says he wants to but last time he said something was fine, he ran away. I don't want to risk him leaving again.

"Mitch you don't have-"

"Scott, hear me out. I told you, I wouldn't do anything anymore unless I'm okay with it. I want to do this."

"You're sure?"

"Never been more sure about anything in my life." He followed this statement with a smile, a real smile.

"Okay."

"Who's in?" Mitch asked then stuck his hand out. I put my hand on top of his and soon everyone else followed suit. "Now lets see what we've got." Mitch counted the money very quickly and smiled when he looked up at us. "Guys, we cracked 100."

"What!" Kirstie squealed.

"You're joking." Alex added.

"How the heck did we never start doing this before?" Avi said to Kevin, who was just sitting there speechless.

"Guys, we have a chance."

*****

Everyone had gone back to their places once we found a busy street that we could perform on tomorrow. Now it was just Mitch and I back at the crawlspace.

"Kirstie asked me the weirdest thing today." I said to Mitch as we ate from a box of cereal.

"Yeah?" He responded.

"She asked if we were like dating."

He stopped and just turned his head to look at me.

"She called you my boyfriend earlier too." He said.

"Well we're not though." I said awkwardly.

"Yeah no, we're just friends." Mitch scratched the back of his head and looked at the ground.

"That occasionally kiss." I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"What if we were though?" Did he just ask me out?

"It would be grand. Better than grand, maybe."

"Well I'll keep that in mind." He winked at me.

"You're such a tease." He shrugged and moved the box of cereal so he could curl up against me.

"Goodnight Noodle."

"Goodnight Mitchie."