Chapter 17

Scott's pov

I woke up and looked around to see Kirstie asleep in the corner that I usually saw Mitch in. Where's Mitch? Why don't I see him in here? Surely he hasn't left this early in the morning to go sing.

"Kirst?" I called my friend's name. She turned so she was facing me and hummed in response. "Why did you stay here? And where is Mitch?"

"You don't remember?" She asked which only caused me to be even more confused. I shook my head. She sighed and came to sit beside me. "Scott, he ran away last night. Alex and I have been looking for him all night since you passed out. We can't find him."

"What!" Oh my. No. No way. This isn't true. "Kirst, tell me you're joking. This is just some sort of screwed up joke!" I felt my eyes welling up with tears as I spoke.

"I'm sorry Scott." She wrapped her arms around me as I bawled. I wiped my tears and shook my head.

"We need to keep looking." I said with determination. "Please." I looked at her and she, without a hesitation, started heading towards the scrap metal door.

Before we left, she tossed me an apple. "Eat this, please." She said before climbing out of the crawlspace.

I followed right behind her. As we started walking, we were met by Alex. His eyes were bloodshot and the bags under them were incredibly dark. We stopped in front of him for a quick second to talk.

"Alex? How long have you been out here?" I asked, concerned by the way he looked.

"Scott! Buddy, you're awake!" He said, his voice groggy.

"Where have you checked so far?" I asked, quickly getting to the point.

"Uhm... Park, the main street, these alleys," he motioned to the few alleys we could see from where we stood, "and the parking lot of the grocery store we get our food from."

"Thanks Alex." I said and started walking again.

"Wait! I'll come with you." Alex shouted towards me.

I turned back to look at him again and said, "No way, you need to sleep! We'll be back before you wake up." He nodded and started heading back towards the crawlspace.

Kirstie and I started jogging so we could cover more ground, quicker. We checked down the alleys and the park again, but still couldn't find him. I sat down beside my friend on a park bench and stared off into space. I couldn't help but imagine where he is and if he's okay.