Chapter 32

Scott's pov

"I will be back to you right away on that street corner with updated, alright?"

"Okay, thanks again Ben." We all shook his hand as we left.

"No problem. Get back safe!"

*****

"I think that went rather well." I stated once Mitch and I had made it back to the crawl space.

"Yeah, we sounded great." Mitch said, his voice sounded a bit off.

"You alright? You sound a bit worried."

"Um," he cleared his throat and continued avoiding eye contact with me which made me a bit scared, "uh yeah, I'm great." He finally answered.

"You don't sound great Mitchie, are you sure nothing is-" I was cut off by him starting to cry and him throwing his back to the wall. I crawled over to him slowly so I wouldn't scare him. "Hey, it's okay Mitch, I'm here, we're okay." I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and held him close to my chest. "What's wrong hey? You can tell me." I felt the tears soak through my shirt but I didn't take my attention off of comforting Mitch.

"I-I'm sorry Scott," he finally said, "I'm a mess." he started wiping the tears from his eyes even though he continued to cry.

"Hey, we all have these moment okay, this isn't your fault and it sure as hell isn't something you need to apologize for. Okay, you hear that?" I said softly.

I felt him nod slowly and he began to talk more. "I am so grateful for you. Please just remember that, okay?"

"Okay. And I'm grateful for you too baby."

"No Scott, you don't understand. I could be dead right now if it weren't for you. You didn't even know me." His stare was fixed on his hands that were gripping my shirt. "But that didn't stop you from taking me in. What if I hadn't found this crawlspace but instead... the crawlspace of a gang? I could have been dead, but you, you, accepted me and watched over me Scott. And this has just hit me hard. Scott, I think I love you."

His gaze slowly met mine, I could see the fear within his eyes. He had just voiced his feeling about me, that's one of the hardest things to do. He continued to look up at me for a response so I leaned down and kissed him gently on the lips.

"I love you too Mitchie, and I always will."