Chapter 16 - Don't Play With Fire

--TAYLOR--
It was about nearly a year ago, when the incident happened.
I remembered it was mid-July, and Carter was staying in my house for 2 weeks. Tristen really liked him, so I trusted him. Thinking back, I was quite stupid for trusting him.

We were all outside in the backyard eating barbecue. My family all cleared up and going inside but Carter and Tristen, who was 5, decided to stay out for a bit more. I said nothing, since I trusted him. I looked out the window from my room, and saw Carter waving a lighter in front of him. And Tristen laughed and he looked so excited. Knowing that I could fully trust him, I pulled the curtains and didn't bother. But just seconds after that I heard a scream. It was from Tristen, and it was the afraid kind. I immediately dashed down the stairs, cursing at whoever was in my way.

"Quick! Call 911!" I yelled at loud as I could at whoever could hear me that time. I ran over to Tristen, who was carried by Carter. I saw that his small right hand was shaded a dark brown and he was crying. Crying in pure agony and pain. Carter was trying his best comforting him, and it wasn't working. We waited for about 5 minutes, according to my mom, but it felt like eternity. The ambulance came and it only allowed 3 people on it. My mom told me to go, along with Carter and my sister Kellie. I haven't got time to argue about her choice, so I climbed in the ambulance, followed by Carter and Kellie. She was comforting Tristen by rubbing her hand on the back of his palm. The people on the ambulance were nursing his wound, and I just sat there with my two hands together praying. Kellie was quietly sobbing beside me, her head buried in her palms. Carter, who was opposite me, looked completely fine. He didn't show any sorrow, or sadness, or anything at all. No one said a word when we watched Tristen being sent into the first aid room. We all sat outside the first aid, and Kellie excused herself to the bathroom. It was just me and Carter. I finally opened my mouth and talked, "I trusted you." I said simply. He nodded, "I know."

What kind of shitty answer was that? I know.  "Why did you pull out a lighter? You know it's dangerous." I kept on questioning him. It's my little brother we're talking about here, and I'm not gonna stop questioning him until he has a reasonable reason. "He wanted to see the fire. He thought it was exciting." I stood up, and feel a fire starting in my heart. (Ok I know this is Adele's lyrics chill) "Then you should have said no! You know it's dangerous, then you should tell him that it's dangerous and he should stay away from it!" He said nothing. I don't know if he felt guilty or not, but I just really have this urge to punch him-

I turned my thinking into action, and punch him in the stomach. He instantly stood up, and raised his hand. A sting on my cheek came shortly after that. I was about to kick his stomach and Kellie held me back. "STOP! WHY ARE YOU TWO FIGHTING?" I tried my hardest escaping from her, then the door from the first aid room opened. "Tristen Caniff's family and friends?" We rushed towards the doctor. "How is he?" Kellie asked. "He only got burned a bit, and we fixed his wound. He just needs to stay for the night." I sighed out of relief, "I'll stay for the night." I don't wanna deal with this the guy standing behind me for now. FOR NOW. "Taylor, mom told me to stay. I'll take care of Tristen."

One year ago. It's been one year and he still haven't apologized. So I thought it was fair doing the same to him. Sometimes, you just have to learn your lessons the hard way. I finished thinking about the past, and sensed a tap on my left shoulder, "U-Um Taylor? C-Can I talk to you for a minute?" I turned around. Lauren. The girl I've been trying to avoid. Not because I don't like her, because I'm still trying to find the perfect time to tell her that I started the fire. "Oh uh yeah. Let's go." I stood up, still glaring at Carter. And he did the same. We went to a staircase it's where we always go when we wanna talk about private things. "Spit it out."

--LAUREN--
I took a deep breath, and told him, "So, well, uh," Dammit! I can't talk! "About the fire that day-" he put both his arms on my shoulders, "Lauren, I swear to god I will explain the truth, but not now. I SWEAR. Cross my heart, hope to die." He drew an X on his chest. That got me curious. "Why not now? Why can't you just tell me and we can end this thing for once and for all?"
"Because I'm trying to find a way to properly explain this! I'll tell you soon." He promised. "And by soon is..?"
"Latest in two weeks." He said and walked away.

I went back to the cafeteria and saw Mila with Cameron on our table. That guy can be VERY weird if he wants to. "K bye Cameron." Cameron went back to his table and that leaves only me and Camila. "Any news?"
"He said he'll tell me everything very soon, and soon means in two weeks at most." She nodded, showing she understands. "Alright. We'll just have to wait."