Chapter 1: Brothers

»»»»

»»»»

560 years later

Legolas sat up in the branch of a tree, his back was leaning against the trunk of the tree while one of his langs dangled over the side, the other one pulled up against his chest with his hands clasped together over his knee.

He closed his eyes as a soft wind began to blow.
This was his favorite time of year, when summer was ending and fall was beginning.

The leaves were changing from green to red, the wind blew a few leaves from the branches and sent them swirling through the air.

Legolas smiled as he watched the leaves spin towards the ground.

The sound of a horn blowing caused Legolas to lean forward.

His eyes brightened and he began climbing down the tree.

He jumped from the lowest hanging branch and landed softly on his feet.

Legolas ran through the trees, the wind stirred up the leaves around him.

Legolas stopped beside the elven road that led to the entrance of the palace.

He watched as the Forest Guard arrived, his blue eyes searching for one individual elf.

"Thalion!"
Legolas called out.

A tall ellon broke away from the other elves and smiled at his younger brother.

Legolas ran towards him and the two brothers embraced.

"What happened Thalion? How many spiders were there? Did you kill them all? Was anyone stung? What-"

"For Eru's sake Las! I just returned from fighting spiders for two months, relieved to be returning home after a long struggle, only to be attacked by my brother asking a hundred questions!"

Legolas crossed his arms.

"What is wrong brother? Have spiders proven too difficult for you to handle?"

"If you had faced these spiders before Las, then you would understand."

Thalion and Legolas walked side by side down the path.

"If you had asked father of I could accompany you this time I would have faced these spiders for myself and then I would understand."

Thalion's smile lessened slightly.

"We have talked about this before Las. You will join me and the Forest Guard when adar says that you are ready."

"But I am ready! I practice with my bow every day!"

"You will need more than a bow to aid you in a fight Las."

"I know that Thalion. I train with my knives and sword every day too."