The Wedding

Legolas' POV

I remember everything now.
They tried to keep me from finding out that I had been captured, what they didn't know is that I never forgot.

How can I ever go back to the life I lived before? I can never be the same being I once was.

I have been scarred for life, and I will never heal.

Sauron will find me, he already knows where I am. I will spend my days hiding and running from his servants.

He wants to bind me in the darkness, to take my light and destroy it.

I am hanging onto my own sanity by a thread.

And I fear that I do not have the strength to hold on....

»»»»

Legolas walked between Inwë and Thalion through the halls of the palace. Though he still didn't trust Thalion, he allowed him to come near as long as Inwë was there.

They hadn't mentioned his last outburst and neither Thalion or Inwë blamed him for it.

The two of them had decided to let Legolas roam about his home, with Elrond's permission, with hope that he would recognize something that would trigger a memory.

Little did they know that he already remembered everything about his home, and without knowing why, Legolas pretended that he didn't.

"Surely you remember something about this room Legolas."
Inwë asked leading him into the library.
"I don't."
Legolas said, even though he could pick out several books he had read during his spare time.

"Nothing at all?"
Inwë's face fell. They had been making such good progress!
"I am sorry, but I cannot remember."
Legolas knew he should have felt bad about lying to her.

He liked Inwë, and he trusted her, but he did not want to tell her that he had his memory back.

Because you are afraid, you know that they will ask you about your captivity, and you cannot tell them...

"Does that sound good Legolas?"
Thalion's voice brought him out of his thoughts.
"What did you say?"
"I asked you if you wanted to see ada. Neither of you have seen each other since you awoke."

Legolas didn't want to see his father. He knew why he didn't want to, but how could he explain that to them without them knowing the truth?

"I will meet him."
Legolas waited for one of them to take the lead.
As he followed them towards his father's throne room, Legolas' mind went back to the last time he saw his father.

He had struck him, caused the first of many wounds that now covered him. He had been the one to drive him away, into the forest.

Where the orcs had been waiting for him, to take him to Mordor and to Sauron.

It was his fault....

"Las? We are here."
Legolas shook his head and looked at Thalion.
His brother's eyes searched his, looking for any sign of recognition, but Legolas still only saw him as a stranger.

I know he is my brother, but I do not feel the same bond we used to share, and I doubt that I will ever feel it again.