Making A Choice

Tauriel listened as Legolas described everything that had happened during Smaug's attack on Laketown.

While he spoke Tauriel had found an old blanket that she could use to clean Legolas' wound.

They were sitting by the edge of the lake and had moved away from the crowd of people. Their conversation didn't reach the ears of Bard or the others.

She had to take off the bandage she had orginally put on and clean out the ash and dirt from the festering wound.

Legolas didn't object to her treatment and he never stopped talking quietly to her. Sometimes he would wince in pain as the cold lake water touched his shoulder, but he knew that it had to be done.

Tauriel ripped off a long strip of the blanket and used it to bind Legolas' shoulder.

I wish I had the herbs I need to properly clean it instead of lake water.

Tauriel sighed and knew that she would just have to make do with what she had.

After Legolas' shoulder was taken care of Tauriel saw to his other injuries, which were mostly small cuts and scrapes that did not need her attention.

"After we made it onto the roof Bard was about to shoot down the dragon when the roof caved in. I was almost buried under the debris and I would have been dead if Bard had not found me."

Legolas stared thoughtfully at the destroyed town as Tauriel cleaned a small scrape on the back of his right hand.

"That makes it three times that he saved my life. I am in debt to him."

That made Tauriel think about what Fili had said, he'd promised to pay her back for saving his brother.

We had to have been wrong about dwarves. I should tell Legolas....

She wanted to, but instead all Tauriel said to him was,
"You will find a way to repay him. Although he seems like the kind who wouldn't accept a reward for anything."

Legolas turned towards her and grinned slightly.
"What?"
Tauriel asked as she dipped her rag into the water to get it wet.
"It is nothing."

Tauriel rolled her eyes and proceeded to clean some of the soot and ash off of Legolas.

"I can wash my own face
Tauriel."
"I know, but can you avoid all of the scratches on your face that will burn if you touch them?"

She wondered if she had been wrong to say "burn" but Legolas didn't seem to notice her choice of words.

"Very well. You are the healer."
Legolas held still as Tauriel carefully cleaned his face, avoiding a particularly large scratch on the left side of his face.

"I have never seen you injured before."
Tauriel commented as she worked.
"There is a first time for everything. I am immortal not invincible."

Tauriel smiled as she finished her work. After his face had been cleaned Legolas was began to look more like his old, bright self.

Tauriel disposed of the rag and helped Legolas stand to his feet.
"Thank you."
He dipped his head gratefully towards her.

His gaze suddenly hardened as he took in the scene before them. Countless men, women, and children were huddling together.

Crying, cold, and afraid. All of this destruction and for what cause? To reclaim some cursed gold from a mountain?

If those dwarves had just left things as they were this would not have happened. All of this needless suffering could have been prevented.

Not to mention that ring is probably lying ungaurded in the mountain. Anyone could wander in there and find it.