Chapter 4: The Fight In The Wood

»»»»

»»»»

Thalion walked into his father's study, he was armed and ready to set out again.
But first he needed to speak with Thranduil.

He entered the study and dipped his head towards his father.
"Thalion, I expected you to be gone by now."
His father stood up from his desk and walked towards him.

"I was about to set out adar. But I needed to ask you something first."
Thranduil tilted his head slightly to the side and looked at his son curiously.

"I want Legolas to accompany me and my warriors to the border."
Thalion waited for his father to respond, he wasn't surprised by his answer.

"It is out of the question. He is still far too young, and unexperienced in combat."
"He would remain by my side at all times. I would not put him into any actual fighting."

Thranduil studied Thalion for a moment before continuing,
"Why do you want him to come?"
"Legolas wants to prove himself to you father, he wants to help defend his home."

"It does not matter what he wants. He is not ready and he will not be until I say he is. Understood?"

Thalion sighed, he knew that there was no arguing with his father, but he sensed that there was another reason why Thranduil wouldn't allow Legolas to go.

"I was out and fighting at his
age."
Thalion pointed out.
"That was different Thalion. You are older than Legolas, and the air to the throne should I sail west or be slain in battle. You have a responsibility to your people that Legolas does not."

"So now it is because Legolas does not have as much responsibilties as I do?"
Thalion's voice rose in frustration.

"Legolas is not ready!"
Thranduil and Thalion stared each other down.
Finally, Thranduil sighed and returned to his seat.

"Do you remember when Legolas was born Thalion?"
He asked quietly.
That was an odd question.
"Yes, I remember."

"After he was saved and the battle was over, Elrond came to me and told me that he saw a glimpse of Legolas' future."

Thalion stifened, he knew that Elrond had the gift of foresight.
What had he seen?
Thranduil looked at Thalion with a cold gaze.

"He saw nothing but suffering, pain, and death. All of it surrounding Legolas."

Thalion's eyes widened in shock.
How could that be? Elrond had to have been mistaken some how.

"That is why I keep him here Thalion. To protect him, and others."
Thalion snapped out of his shock and looked at his father in confusion.
"Protect others? What do you mean?"

"Lord Elrond was not certain whether the suffering was meant for Legolas, or others."
Thranduil replied calmly.
"Are you saying that Legolas could cause pain and death for others?"
Thalion narrowed his eyes at his father.