It Is Our Fight

Tauriel studied the sickening remains of what had been the orc's meal in disgust.

It smelled awful, but at least she knew that she was going the right way.

She could barely believe that orcs had actually passed through their lands. Tauriel had waited so long for the opportunity to hunt orc and now it was here.

There was something else that drove her on besides her personal vendetta against the creatures; she had heard what the orc they'd captured said.

If it had been telling the truth, then they were all in danger.
Not just the elves, but all the free peoples of Middle Earth were now under the threat of an enemy that was unknown to her.

Tauriel continued running over the rocks, avoiding the small pools of blood that the orcs had left behind.

Suddenly she stopped, someone was behind her, following her.
She grabbed her bow, nocked an arrow, and spun around to face whoever it was that stalked her.

To her surprise she found Legolas, aiming his own bow at her. Without lowering her own weapon she called,
"I thought you were an orc."

"If I were an orc, you would be dead."

Legolas lowered his bow and Tauriel did the same

Legolas lowered his bow and Tauriel did the same. He walked over to her with concern written all over his face.

He was worried about me.

A wave of guilt washed over Tauriel and she refused to meet Legolas' gaze.

Ever since her meeting with Thranduil she had been purposefully avoiding Legolas.

The king's words had repeatedly echoed over and over again in her mind. If Legolas truly did care for her the way his father said he did, and if Thranduil refused to allow them to be together, she had figured that it would have been easier for Legolas if they stopped spending time with one another.

Feren's advice also had come back to her, "Some things are not as they seem."

Could that mean that whatever she felt for Legolas, or what he felt for her, was nothing?