Promise

The moment that the orcs left them Estel immediately called out to Legolas, who was tied to a tree about six feet away.

"Legolas, are you alright?"
Estel guessed that the orcs would be listening so he spoke in elvish.
"I smell like an orc and have never been more disgusted in my life. Other than that I am well."
Came the elf's response.

Estel narrowed his eyes at his friend.
"Tell me the truth Legolas. Did they hurt you? Are you wounded?"

Legolas looked down at his feet while Estel waited patiently for an answer.

"What about you Estel? You are clearly more hurt than I am."
"Do not try to make this about me Legolas. I know I am not alright and I'm willing to admit it. Now tell me the truth."

Legolas sighed in defeat as he finally conceded.
"They did not harm me severly. Their leader would not allow it. I was left bound and gagged until they brought me out to you."
Estel knew that there was something Legolas was not telling him.

He opened his mouth to ask but was interupted by Legolas.
"Were you being honest Estel? Is their no heir of Isildur? And if there is than how do you know him?"

Estel shifted uncomfortably. He'd never told Legolas about his true identity. Elrond had said that Legolas had a right to know the truth, but it was up to him to decide when to tell his friend.

"There is an heir Legolas. He is living in exile, hiding from the dark lord."
"Do you mean Sauron?"

Estel nodded grimly.
"Why does Sauron hunt him?"
"Because he is a threat to him, and the hope for mankind."

Estel wondered if Legolas had got the hint he was giving him but his friend still seemed confused.

"Do you know where he is?"
Estel nodded.
"You will not tell the orcs where he is."
It wasn't a question.

Estel searched his friend's gaze but Legolas had once again hidden his emotions.

Why must he do that?

"I cannot tell them where he is Legolas, but I promise you that I will not let the orcs take your life."

"How can you promise that Estel? You will not tell the orcs what they want to know, and whether you told them or not wouldn't matter. Either way I am as good as dead."

Estel flinched at his friend's harsh tone, while Legolas had been speaking the elf had let his guard down and Estel could see the fear that consumed Legolas' eyes.

He was scared.
Legolas, the brave elven warrior, the prince of Mirkwood, was scared.

And why shouldn't he be? Both of them knew what the orcs had planned for him and what they wanted from him.

The leader's threat had rang loud and clear for Estel and Legolas. He would kill Legolas but as slowly and painfully as possible.

Yet it was not the suffering of the elf that the orc's desired; it was his blood.

They had seen it clearly in the eyes of the orcs. The monsters had trembled in anticipation when they had seen Legolas' blood on the dagger, and nothing would keep them from getting what they wanted.

Estel knew that even if he told them what they wanted to know Legolas would not be able to escape from them.

Legolas had realized it the moment he had been captured. Time was running out for both of them, but Legolas' was running out faster.

Estel was at a loss. He'd never seen Legolas be so fearful before. What made the situation even more unbearable was the fact that Estel was choosing to save his own life instead of Legolas', after he'd just promised to protect him.