Do Not Give Him Hope

Legolas caught the name just as the dwarf who said it was led past him.

Bilbo? Is that another dwarf?

"Legolas?"
Tauriel came up behind and him, she had retrieved her dagger and was placing it back into its sheeth.

"Go on ahead with the others. There is something I need to look into."
"Should I stay with you?"
"No, it is nothing serious. I will join you in a moment."

Tauriel looked as though she didn't believe him, but she didn't argue as she followed the elves and their prisoners.

Legolas waited until they had vanished from his sight and began to search the area for any sign of another dwarf.

I wonder if the spiders got him.

He thought grimly. Even though he didn't care about the dwarves he wouldn't want any of them to be killed by the spiders.

But as he searched he found no sign of another dwarf, or any spiders for that matter.

For all I know he snuck past me and is following his companions. Or he ran to save himself.

Just as Legolas was about to rejoin the others something caused him to freeze where he stood, and his blood to run cold.

There was something nearby, something evil. Legolas gripped the hilt of the sword he had taken from the dwarf and searched calmly for whatever lurked in the shadows.

Had he been younger he would have been afraid of what was in the forest, he wasn't afraid now, only cautious.

Legolas stood poised and ready to either fight or run from whatever stalked him. But as quickly as it came, it was gone.

What was that?

Legolas lowered his sword and gazed around the clearing one last time. Then without anymore hesitation he made his way back towards the palace.

»»»»

Legolas arrived just as the Guards were about to close the gates. They bowed as he approached and waited for him to enter.

Legolas stopped midstride as he felt the same presence that he'd felt in the forest.

Did it follow me here?

Legolas turned around only to find a few leaves blowing in the wind.

As he stood their he felt the same dark air go past him; he whipped his head to the side as it went past, but just like before there was nothing to see.

"My Lord? Are you alright?"
One of the Guards asked curiously.
Legolas shook his head.

Now is not the time to be going mad.

"I am fine. Close the gates."
Legolas entered the palace as the large stone doors closed behind him.

"Legolas entered the palace as the large stone doors closed behind him