Chapter 41

As soon as Raymond, Nichelle and I get inside, Ethan said, "alright, everyone's here now. You can talk now."

I glanced around to see who Ethan was talking too and noticed a phone on the table. The others didn't actually know what Axel has called about yet.

Ethan looked up at me in question of where I was, but I shake my head. Jacob knowing was bad enough.

"W-w-well i-it's Quentin and Tara," Axel said. "They're beginning to g-g-grow i-impatient."

"Hold on, is he stuttering?" I asked no one in particular.

I heard an angry grunt on the other end of the phone. "I-it's some-s-s-something I d-do when I-I'm s-stressed."

"Okay, so why are you stressed."

"I w-was g-g-getting to th-that. Q-q-uent-tin and T-Tara th-threaten-threatened to k-kill m-my little s-s-sis-ster, P-peyton, a-a-nd me if I d-d-didn't bring y-you to them withi-i-in tw-two d-days."

"Okay, so you need us to come before then?" Raymond asked.

"E-exactly," Axel answered, "or e-else you're not g-g-going to be getting a-any help from me."

"Did you find anything out about Quentin and Tara?" Ethan asked.

"Still, n-n-no, no. I have l-looked but their tough people to s-search. They're really s-secretive."

"It's fine. We'll just have to go in without that," Jacob said.

"Speaking of," Mckenzie noted, "does anyone actually have a plan on how to get back in?"

"A-ctually y-yes," Axel stuttered. He cleared his throat, and took a large breath. "Do you think you g-guys could get back through the fence?"

"Have they fixed it yet?" Raymond asked.

"Yes," Axel answered.

"Well I could get over the fence but is there a way to shut it down?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, a box on the west side of the building but Quentin and Tara will notice if the fence if off for too long."

"How about you just go over, turn it off, we all climb over then you turn it back on, Jacob?" Ryann suggested.

"That's a good idea," Axel said. "And you can make the cameras stop working, correct Ryann?"

"Better, I can loop them to make it look like nothing suspicious is happening."

Jacob grinned, "genius."

"Thank you."

Smiling a little, I leaned against the counter and crossed my arms. I didn't have much to contribute and it was entertaining enough to listen to the other formulate a plan.

"So after you guys are over, Ryann will take care of the cameras then you guys need to make your way around to the back of the compound," Axel explained. "There's a secret door back there that isn't guarded because it's hidden and electric, though that electricity can also be turned off from inside. I'll be waiting there to let you in. From there, we'll save Peyton, my little sister, and go back out the same way."

"Wait, but what about Quentin and Tara?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah, it is kinda important to take them out too," Raymond added.

"We're not going to have time, not if we all go to save Peyton. Quentin and Tara don't let a lot past them and they'll notice by then."

I took a step forward. "Well we need to kill Quentin and Tara. We can't just let them go free," I said.

"Look Emily, I don't want them getting away either but at this point, saving my sister is my top priority," Axel's automated voice responded.

"What if we split up instead?" Mackenzie asked. Everyone looked at her. "You know, like, half of us go save his sister and the other half go and kill Quentin and Tara?"

"That's actually not a bad idea," Jacob said. "Axel?"

There was a moment of silence, and I could imagine Axel thinking about it. "I think it could work, as long as the other group is fast enough anyway," he said. "Even of we do manage to kill Quentin and Tara, the guards aren't going to be too happy about it."

"Okay, how about Axel, Jacob and Mackenzie go save Axel's sister and McKenna, Ryann, Raymond and I go after Quentin and Tara?" Ethan inquired. He glanced around in question.

"Axel will actually probably need Ryann in case Quentin and Tara were to look at the cameras before we can get to them and we should take Mackenzie for more offensive powers," Raymond corrected. Ethan nodded.

"That works," Axel said.

"What about me?" I asked.

"You're not going," Nichelle interrupted. She and McKenna had been so quiet during the entire thing I had almost forgotten they were there.

Now I pivoted toward Nichelle. "What do you mean I'm not going?" I questioned.

"You don't have your power yet Emily," Nichelle explained, "and if you went back there and Quentin and Tara managed to capture you, they'd no doubt dissect you alive."

"But they won't capture me," I insisted.

"But they could, and that's not a chance I'm willing to take. You'd have no way of protecting yourself if they did."

"But they're going to kill Quentin and Tara. I need to be there for that."

Nichelle shook her head. "I'm sorry, Emily, but I can't let you go."

"She's right," Jacob said. "Having survived Quentin's death sentence without him even knowing won't make him too happy if he were to find out you were still alive."

"Plus we'd be worrying about you the whole time," Ethan declared.

I gaped, open mouthed at Ethan. He had almost made it sound like I was a burden. Like I'd only screw things up if I went with them because I didn't have control of my powers yet. As I glanced around the room, everyone's facial expressions proved it, except for Raymond's who was just filled with sorrow.

I nodded in submission and slumped against the counter. I wasn't going to argue with them if they thought me a burden.

There was an awkward silence around the room until Raymond said, "so when are we going to go through with this?"

"Tomorrow morning?" Mackenzie suggested.

"Yeah, that would be suggested," Axel commented.

"So since we're gonna actually do this, does that mean we can call ourselves The Electroclan?" Ryann commented.

Jacob nodded thoughfully. "I guess so," he said.

Despite my souring mood, I smiled minutely and muttered, "it's The Electroclan 2.0."