Chapter 55

When I came too, Jacob and Ethan were leaning over me, worry plain on their faces. "What- what happened?" I asked hurriedly. We were still in Quentin and Tara's lab.

"Don't worry, it's only been about fifteen seconds. We got the RESAT dart out of you, but Tara is dead."

I nodded, looking at Raymond's body, then Tara's. She was dead. I had killed her. She deserved it. It didn't matter. I still felt bad.

"How are you feeling?" Nichelle asked, walking over to me.

"Okay I guess," I answered softly. I had gotten my powers, but lost Raymond. Sure, it was a trade, but it wasn't worth it.

"Good. Let's just... Stay away from using your power for now," Nichelle commented.

I nodded. With Tara dead, I could live with that. I flexed my fingers, still amazed that the power I had gotten was electricity manipulation within water.

From the other side of the room, Peyton muttered something that I couldn't quite make out. Axel looked up at her and asked, "what?"

I noticed Peyton staring at the door and slowly followed her gaze, spotting Quentin there with a real gun aimed towards Ethan, who was closest to him.

"Quentin!" I screamed just as Quentin fired his gun. Lunging forward, I threw up a wall of electric water between Quentin and Ethan. The bullet hit the wall, falling harmlessly to the ground.

Quentin looked at me in surprise. "So you do have powers?" He asked.

"Yes, we already established this with Tara," I huffed. Upon saying Tara's name, Quentin scanned the room for her. He only stopped when he spotted her body lying against the wall. I could tell from the look in his eyes that he could guess she was dead.

Quentin's focus snapped back to me, a new fire in his eyes. He didn't stay on me long as his gaze drifted to Nichelle, who was standing right next to me.

"And I was beginning to think I wouldn't see you again," Quentin said.

Nichelle bristled. "That would've been ideal."

"Oh, don't be so cynical, Nichelle. We had some fun times together."

"Yeah, when I still a brainwashed minion of Hatch," Nichelle muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Whatever, but I do have to say: I think I like you better without powers."

Nichelle smirked. "Because I can't make you cry like a baby?"

Quentin frowned, but quickly regained his composure. "Oh Nichelle," he sighed. "Poor naive Nichelle. Look, I'll make this easy for you and your new Electroclan." Quentin opened the door behind him and guards started filing in. One of them was dragging Ryann by the hair. Jacob's stance got more defense as soon as she entered. "I am going to kill Ryann, you are going to get captured," Quentin continued, "then I'm going to kill each of you then the Veys. But, if you surrender, I will allow Nichelle, Taylor and Michael to go free."

I snorted loudly. "As if," I said. "You didn't let Ethan, Raymond and Mackenzie go and now Raymond is dead. You would never uphold your word."

"Raymond's death was not my doing," Quentin responded, "and you'd be surprised at what promises I do keep."

"Sure."

"Look, we'll make this easy for you. We are not surrendering," Axel said.

I glanced over at Ethan, catching his attention, and nodded. Ethan teleported next to the guards holding Ryann. He jabbed one in the face with his elbow as Quentin whirled around.