Chapter 48

I watch as my friends are silently escorted out of the room by the guards around the perimeter. I wasn't stupid enough to believe that Quentin would actually let them go, I was just glad they weren't dead.

Quentin looked over at me again. He lazily pointed his gun at me, though his eyes held a look of fierce anger. "How are you still alive?" He asked slowly.

"I have no idea," I answered sharply. I figured it'd be better if Quentin and Tara didn't know I had powers quite yet.

"Fine, but just know that this would be a lot easier, for you, if you just cooperated."

I locked my jaw in place as I stood there, stalk still and silent. I don't care what they did or threatened to do to me. Anything was better than them killing my friends.

Quentin glared at me for a few seconds before he put his gun in his waistband and crossed his arms. Either he believed me or he decided he needed discover the truth his own way.

"Bring her to the bed and strap her in," Quentin instructed the guards. The guards immediately walked over to me, grabbing my arms with what felt like the strength of a god. "We're going to need to do some hardcore testing on her," Quentin muttered to Tara without looking at her.

Instead, he was watching me as the guards brought me into another adjoining room to The Lab. They shoved me roughly onto what looked like a hospital bed except with handcuffs. I stayed still, as I didn't want to set Quentin off, as the guards strapped me in. They tightened my cuffs way too tight but I bit my lip before I could complain. Quentin walked in the room, followed by Tara.

"So, you're the girl who lived?" Tara sneered.

"Actually that was Harry Potter," I murmured.

Tara just glared at me. I could tell she didn't like my comment.

"Harry Potter or not, you survived," Quentin said. "And while I expected no less of you, Vey Child, we will figure out how."

For the first time, I felt a deep fear sink into my heart about how he would find out. At this point, I could guess that Quentin thought I had powers, like my brothers and parents, but I had to wonder how he would do it. The primary ways he had tested me obviously hadn't worked out, so did they have something a bit more... Cruel?

"Now, let's get started, shall we?" Quentin asked me in a menacing voice. I assumed the voice change was just to scare me, but then again, perhaps that was Quentin's true nature.

Naturally, Quentin first took another sample of my blood to run through a few blood tests. It didn't surprise me when he confirmed that I was indeed Emily Deann Vey.

"Really? You had to check to make sure I was the right person?" I said mostly to myself. Neither Quentin not Tara answered. I didn't care.

"First test," Quentin muttered, "is to test the assumption that you took your father's absorption ability. After all, neither of your brothers did, Quentin picked up a small bottle full of serum and drew some of the liquid out of it using a syringe. He handed the syringe to Tara, who approached me, with the needle up. "This serum will test the electricity levels within your body as we electrocute you, so we can see if it increases. If not, that means you were probably killed by the electrocution because you were not able to absorb it. So, if I were you, I'd start praying that you've got some sort of power locked up somewhere in there."

Tara placed the needle against my skin and grinned maliciously. "This is going to hurt. A lot," she added as she slowly inserted the serum into my vein. Sure enough, pain came along with it. It started where Tara had inserted the serum, slowly began to winded it's way through my body and only stopped when it reached my heart. I was writhing in pain at that point. Every one of my blood veins felt like it was about to explode, along with even my heart. On top of that, I was also pretty sure the serum had paralyzed me. I couldn't move or even think. So I just later there, wishing Quentin would hurry up and electrocute me. I didn't even care if they did discover my hidden power, I just needed the power that came with the electricity.

Finally, a tingling sensation filled with power started at the skin touching the cuffs. It slowly began to climb up my body, overpowering the previous pain that the serum had caused me. I began to relax as I regained movement, thought and the ability to feel my heart beating in my chest. Never before had I been so happy to be electrocuted.

As the pain subsided, I peered over Quentin's shoulder to see if he had gotten any results. A small part of me hopes he would. I'd rather him get results than have to go through that again. Unfortunately, nothing changed. My electricity levels stayed the same, indicating that I should not have absorbed the energy of the electric shock and should be dead. But I did. It's Nichelle's power, still covering up my own.

Quentin looked back at me, probably to make sure I really was still alive, then back at the screen. He did this a few more times before he slammed open hand on the time. "Impossible!" He shouted. "There is no way that that should be possible!"

"Well apparently it is," I retorted, still breathing hard from the pain of the serum.

Quentin whirled to face me. "You're hiding something. A certain ability of yours. I don't know how but you are. This, what you just did, is not normal. No one, without your father's ability to absorb electricity, should be able to do that. You have it, and I will prove it no matter how long it takes."

"Go ahead," I said. "But have you yet considered that this isn't me? That it's someone stronger, who you should be fearing more?"

Of course it was me who was doing it, but I got what I wanted from Quentin. A look of fear. It was just a quick side glance, but I saw it. He was scared of Michael. He was scared that my dad was here, seeking revenge on him for kidnapping his children.

It wasn't Michael who was here though. Just me, who I daresay can be a lot worse.