Chapter 6

Ethan had booked a flight for us the next morning at half past four, which meant we had to leave at about two-thirty. Fortunately, it was a Saturday so we didn't have to go to school but I was worried about how my parents would react when they found we were gone. I didn't like deceiving or tricking them and I especially didn't like making them worry. Ethan, on the other hand, loved for it. If he wasn't tricking someone or breaking some rule, then that meant he had died and literally could not trick people anymore. Jacob was the same as me in his dislike to break rules, but he also had no backbone. Ethan could get Jacob to do whatever he wanted if he just pushed him for a while.

I tossed and turned in my bed that night and by the time I had to get up, I was pretty sure I had only gotten about an hour of sleep.

I rolled out of bed and quickly got dressed as quietly as I could. When I was done, I grabbed the money that I've been saving up for years, and stuffed it in my pocket. I had a total of five hundred and seventy three dollars and Ethan and Jacob had seven hundred and thirty one dollars combined, making it so we have well over a thousand. We were pretty sure that that would be plenty enough money for any essential things we may need.

I took my pre-packed bag out of my closet and headed outside. I heard my brothers slowly coming down the stairs so I set my bag down to wait for them. When they finally came into view, carrying their bags, I had to squint my eyes to try figure out which one is which. Usually I could easily tell them apart, being that I've lived with them for so long but at two in the morning when I was super tired, it wasn't that easy.

"You ready?" I whispered to my brothers. They both nodded. I picked up my bag, leading the way, and softly opened the door.

As soon as the door was pulled firmly shut behind us, I turned to my brothers and asked, "so how are we getting to the airport?"

"A taxi," one of the two of them, I still couldn't tell which, answered. "I called up in our room so they should be here by now."

We descended the few steps to our walkway to wait on the sidewalk until the taxi cab showed up. When it finally did, we quickly loaded our bags into the trunk then climbed in ourselves.

"Where to?" The taxi driver asked.

"The airport," my brother responded, who I could now see was Ethan from the light inside the taxi.

The taxi driver nodded and pulled away from the curb. My home. The only home I've ever known. And I may never see it, or my parents, ever again.

We arrived at the airport an hour before our plan left, and got completely checked in and ready to go a half an hour before boarding was allowed. Which left for a lot of down time. A lot of down time to sit... And think. Which, at this point, was probably pretty dangerous for me.

My brothers and I found three open seats next to eachother. We sat down in order from youngest to oldest, not even on purpose. As we sat there and the time began to pass, I started twiddling my thumbs. I couldn't believe I was about to do this. I hadn't ever flown without my mom and dad before, even though I had only flown once before. It wasn't something I enjoyed too much. It also made it worse that Jacob, Ethan and I were doing this without my mom and dad's permission. They technically never told us that we couldn't go on this flight, but they also never told us that we could either.  On top of that, we also used their credit card without their permission.

I just wished we could hurry up and get to San Antonio before I changed my mind. I looked over at my two older brothers to see their serious, confident faces. They both looked exactly the same as they stared off into space. It had been a long time since I had tried to act confident like my brothers but, given that I was about to go off to a completely foreign place unknown to me at all with no one except my brothers to keep me company, I figured I'd give it a try. I sat up straight in my chair, trying to look as confident as my brothers did, to show the world that I wasn't scared of whatever it wanted to throw at me. Whatever challenges it wanted to present.

Just then, the lady at the counter near our gate said that we could board the plane now. I stood up, followed by my brothers. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a solemn looking man in a brown suit with a brown hat, sunglasses, and black suit case.

He looked a little odd to me and my eyes lingered on him so long that the guy caught me staring. He growled a bit at me. I immediately looked away and followed my brothers to the gate where we handed our tickets to the flight attendant and walked onto the plane.

Our seats on the plane were way in the back, so it took a while to reach them. I sat down in the large three-seat aisles with my brother and watched the man in the brown suit get on the plan behind us. He sat a few rows ahead of us. There was still something that seemed off about him, and that brown suitcase of him. Maybe it was because he seemed dark and mysterious, due to his large coat. I wasn't sure though. I couldn't tell if it was because of his coat or if it was something else. Since I didn't have anything better to do, I decided to keep an eye on him throughout the flight.