Chapter 10

"So what do you think that guy meant when he said there was someone who wanted to meet you?" I asked Jacob and Ethan.

Jacob shrugged. "I don't know. I'm guessing he meant there was someone, somewhere, who wanted to meet us."

"But why?" I asked slowly. "And who's Q and T inc.? That was end fined onto his briefcase."

"Maybe Q and T inc. is the company that a red us then," Ethan cut in.

"If you want, we can do a fact check on them when we get to the hotel," Jacob added. "See if we can figure anything out about them."

"That would probably make me feel better," I said.

"Yeah, maybe they just somehow know about our powers and want us for them," Ethan suggested.

"Maybe." I sat there for a moment, thinking about what it could mean. What if could mean that the man had known about Jacob and Ethan's powers and what it could mean that there was someone else, somewhere, who wanted to meet them.

I nodded slowly for a while until I finally asked, "So why'd it take you so long to come up with the plan?"

"Well Ethan wasn't sure he could teleport the briefcase. Given he can't teleport large items," Jacob explained. "We decided to try to do so anyway though. The worst thing that could've happened is that it wouldn't have worked."

"Alright. Well congratulations you two. But now what are you guys going to do about everyone who saw your powers?" I nodded to the other passengers and the flight attendants. Most of them weren't looking at as any longer but most of them still did seem like they were uncomfortable or bewildered.

They both glanced back at the people then Jacob sighed through his nose. "We'll just have to let them be I guess," he muttered.

I raised both of my eyebrows. "Just let them be?" I asked incredulously. "But they know about your powers!"

Ethan looked at me, clearly irritated. "We realize that but we also just saved their lives and there was no way to do it without showing our powers."

"Well then maybe you shouldn't have used them," I growled. The fact that my brothers had no plan on how to make these people forget what they just saw immediately put us in a lot of danger.

"And condemn all these people, including us, to death?" Jacob said, gesturing back at the people.

"Emily, you don't know what it's like," Ethan continued. "What it's like to have these special powers but never be able to us them. Or to have a way to be able to save other people but to have to sit back and just watch it happen. It's not as easy as just 'not using our powers.' We have a need to us them. Unlike you, Emily, we have these gifts and we intend to use them whether people see us using them or not."

Ethan sat back with a huff in his chair. I just stared at the two of them. Ethan's last sentence really hit me hard but he was right. I had no special powers like them. They inherited what Mom and Dad had and I just became ordinary. I'm just a normal person.

I put my chin in my hand and turned to look out the window of the plane. I didn't feel the need to cry but I wasn't too happy any longer. It had felt as if Ethan had just slapped me in the face. I was nothing on this planet. There was no real reason to why I was here and I would never be anything more besides a bystander who could do nothing to save herself or the others around her. I would always have this fear of failure, holding me back, keeping me from doing things that my brothers could.

I was silent for the rest of the flight, as I did not want to talk to my brothers right now. Not that it mattered much anyway. About twenty minutes after Ethan snapped at me, two flight attendants came to get Ethan and Jacob. I didn't see them for the rest of the flight and I didn't even question it. I was guessing it had something to do with their powers.

At last the plane landed in Texas and I got off of it by myself. As soon as I reached the airport, I spotted Ethan and Jacob. I walked over to them but still didn't speak. I didn't feel like talking yet. And neither did they apparently cause neither of them said anything.

We exited the airport and Jacob got a taxi for us. I slid into the back of the taxi, making sure I was sitting by the window. Ethan sat next to me and Jacob on the opposite side of the taxi.

It was quiet for most of the taxi ride.  The awkwardness was palpable by the time we were about five minutes away from the hotel we were to stay it.

Finally, without even turning to me, Ethan muttered, "I'm sorry Emily." It was typical of Ethan to apologize. He was a sensitive guy and he hated hurting others. I wasn't complaining though, it was actually nice. Guys usually didn't show their sensitivity.

I swallowed softly and turned to Ethan. "It's alright," I responded quietly.

"No, it's not," he argued, shaking his head. "I shouldn't have said that to you. It's just- not helping people when you know that you can is a lot harder than you think."

I nodded once. "I know. I understand. And it's fine, I forgive you."

We pulled up to the hotel and I jumped out of the car to grab my suitcase. Ethan sighed, paid the driver then got out after Jacob.

We all walked into the hotel and Ethan, the more outgoing of the three of us, went to check in while Jacob and I hang back.

"You know Ethan didn't mean what he said earlier, right?" He asked me.

I looked up at Jacob. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"He didn't mean it when he said that you don't have anything special. You may not have powers, Emily, but you still have other special qualities about you. One's that will one day save more people than you can even imagine."

I shrugged and simply said, "yeah. I guess so."