Almost

Its 11;43 pm, and Sarah just emerged from her bunk to tell us to shut up for the 10th time. We had all stayed up on the sofas, joking and laughing together. I forgot all of my worries, I left it all behind. All that mattered were these guys, and whatever hilarious story Michael was telling.

'She is probably right, we have a lot of practising to do tomorrow. Lets get to bed now.' Ashton says, a serious almost adult-like expression on his face. I can totally see why they see him as the dad of the band. I smile sadly, and we shift off of the sofa. Michael and Luke climb up to the top bunk, Calum going for the middle.

I drift off to the front of the bus, quietly tredding on the carpet, suddenly aware of the silence.

'Hey Gus,' I say. 'Just going to bed now.'

'Night sweetheart, I hope you get a good nights rest. It can be hard sleeping on the bus, but i suggest earplugs to help drown out the sound of the road.' I nod, smiling. He never took his eyes off the road, but it seems like he truly listened.

'Thank you, by the way, for earlier. I needed that.'

'Its okay, love. Im always here. Go on then, night kiddo.'

I turn, seeing Ashton waiting for me. I walk toward him.

'Everything okay now?' He takes me in to a light hug.

'Yeah, all good. Thanks, you really helped me out back there. I really appreciate it.'

'I know, I'm just glad that we had that chat, you know, get everything out there in the open. I dont want to hide anything from you, you should know. Im glad you're feeling better anyways.'

I smile up at him, then I turn, feeling his large hand press on my lower back, guiding me to the back. I say a quick goodnight to the team as i pass through the bunks, then seclude myself with the door.

Sigh. A lot has happened today.

I go over to my bed, and start to take off my clothes. I fold them, and place them beside my rucksack. I take out Marcus' t-shirt from the bag. I bring it to my face, inhaling his smell, before putting it on. The soft worn fabric is gentle on my skin, slowly warming me. It feels as though I'm closer to him somehow, almost with him. It makes me sad to think of him, so far away.

I climb into my bed, pulling the thin blankets over my knees, and take out my phone and notebook. I hadn't looked at it since I called Marcus, but there were tones of messages. One from Mum asking where I was, and a few from Marcus. It said that he loved me, and that he was so proud. I almost burst, and replied quickly.

To: Marcus

Hey :( Im okay, going to sleep now, had a nice evening with the guys xxx Missing you

To: Mum

Hi mum! everything okay, still driving, going to sleep now. xxx

I ignore the snapchats and notifications, I couldn't be bothered to reply to all of them. I tuck my bare legs under the sheets, slowly warming up under the overs.I reach over, and take my notebook. I open up to the song that I started that weekend in Birmingham. Still untitled, I have to name it.

Ah, thats it. Beside You

I read through the lyrics, more and more Marcus. The whole song is about him, and the words couldnt be any more relevant.

I wish I was beside you/ my heart wants to come home/she lies awake etc

Every verse, every line, every word has Marcus poured into it, making the entire song a whirlpool of him.

I close the book, unable to read anymore. It was too much. Deep breath, i need to switch off. Too much thinking can send me into overdrive, like earlier. I do not need to repeat that.

I switch off the light, and snuggle down into the pillow, curling up underneath the blanket. I need to rest.