XXVII

To sznopkalili - thank you for your lovely comment <3

            "We will rest her for tonight, and then cross the river tomorrow," Aragorn decided making both Legolas and Arya frown. "We should cross now," Legolas said, his eyes looking troubled as he glanced at the other side. Arya was about to agree when Aragorn said that orcs were patrolling the other side, and that it would be safer to travel to the other side later either when darkness fell or by sunrise the next day. "It is not that side that troubles me," Legolas muttered softly staring at Aragorn for a while before gesturing with his head for Arya to follow him.

Arya said nothing, but followed him nevertheless, watching as he somewhat angrily unpacked his blanket and laid it down. She was biting her lips in amusement by the time he had finished, watching as he plunked down on the blanket after discarding his bow and quiver.

            "Are you done with your little tantrum princeling?"

            "Don't call me that," he groaned in dismay his eyes shifting up until they met hers, "you make it sound like I am a child."

            "Well..." she teased, "sometimes I wonder."

            "Arya, I am not having a tantrum. Do you not feel the lingering darkness on this side of the river?" He looked at her in exasperation, but she could see the barely shielded worry in his eyes.

            "Apart from myself?" She smiled gently, but stopped and sat down next to him once she saw his serious expression. Taking one of his hands in hers she entwined their fingers, her thumb gently caressing the skin of his hand. "Of course I feel it, Legolas." Arya said quietly, "but I do not see a reason to worry the others, especially the hobbits who have more than enough on their plate. Darkness is almost everywhere. The shadow is spreading quickly, much quicker than we are travelling. It does not surprise me that it is on both side of this river. What worries me is that the darkness on this side is different from the orcs on the other side."

He suddenly smiled and pulled her into his side, one arm wrapping around her shoulders as he pressed his lips to her temple. "This is the reason why we belong together," he whispered against her ear; "when one of us despair, the other sees reason."

Smiling, she leaned her head onto his shoulder, listening to the soft chatter of the people around her as she let sleep pull her under for a short while. The arm around her shoulder tightened protectively, and she relaxed into Legolas' side. He was humming something underneath his breath - so softly that she was sure nobody else could hear it. Like anything else he did, it pulled her in, reassured her in a way nothing or anybody else could.

* * *

            "Arya, wake up."

Arya awoke quickly as he started to shake her body, her eyes and body alert in the matter of seconds.

            "What's wrong?" She said, her eyes scanning their surroundings as she looked for a treat.

            "Frodo is missing," Legolas said, hurriedly getting to his feet and strapping on his weapons. Arya followed him quickly, the silver circle around her irises thickening slightly as she got ready, her eyes scanning the forest. "I will check west of here, you take the east side." She ordered him, making him raise his eyebrow at her slightly. The silver in her eyes convinced him quickly and he nodded, stopping her just as she was about to run off. "Arya, Boromir is missing as well." She met his eyes again, and worry filled hers. With a quick nod she pulled away from him, sprinting through the forest. Legolas looked after her for a while, before running the other way, sending a couple of silent prayers to anyone who might be listening to keep her safe.