7

Harry drove us to this small place called Milk Bar. The small cafe serves a simple menu, which matches the minimalist wooden booths and peaceful atmosphere. A number of offerings revolve around toast: with some ham, Turkey and cheese or some pies and cookies.

Harry and I had the candy bar pie. It was made of pure chocolate, peanuts and nougat. Later on we had some coffee while Val drank her milk bottle.

After an hour or so, Harry suggested we go hiking or sight-seeing and I agreed on sight-seeing. So we drove away to a valley and sat down just watching the sky. Valerie was fast asleep in the car while we just sat there staring at the blank space.

"I didn't sleep last night." He said out of the blue. We've been silent for over ten minutes and now he spoke.

"Why?" I scooted closer to him.

"I don't know," he looked at Valerie, "Watching her grow without her mother is heart-breaking. I miss my her."

"Oh." I said waiting for him to continue. I like it when he opens up to me.

"She was more than a lover or spouse," he stared at me and I could feel the sadness in his eyes, "She was my best friend and soulmate. I fell in love once before I met her yet, I never felt safe and really happy until I met her. You know?"

"I get you."

"I'd do anything to bring her back." He sighed. His voice was trapped in his throat, barely audible. That proved how painful it is for him to talk about this subject. He's suffering without her.

"Should we stop hanging out?" I asked him.

His eye brows furrowed, "Why?"

"You said I remind you of her. If that's painful for you then I could-"

"No no Gabriella," he sighed," I didn't mean it that way. I love having you here- I mean you're a good person to hang out with and Val loves you."

I smiled,"I love her too."
We fell silent for a while.

"Don't you think about getting married again? I mean, for Val?"

"I tried to be with someone. Actually, I tried living with my ex-girlfriend so she could take care of Val and that didn't work out. She had feelings for me and she expected me to reciprocate those feelings. I couldn't so she left.

Even if, I can take care of Val on my own. She doesn't need a step-mother. I can be her mother and father. Amelia and Ed will help me too."

"Sounds like you got it all planned out huh?"

"Yeah I wouldn't let Val feel alone. Sure, she's going to ask about her mother at some point but then she'll get over it."

"Yeah you're right." I sighed, thinking about my parents.

"Your mood just flipped. What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," I stared into the blank sky.

"Is it your fiance?" he asked lowly.

"Part of it. He's being so distant lately and just last night I found out he was leaving today. Even when I woke up, he wasn't there. He said goodbye over a text."

"Maybe he's really busy."

"Yeah probably."

"Or he's seeing another girl." He cracked a laugh and I slapped his hand playfully.

"Shut the hell up." I laughed with him.

"You really love him don't you?" he stared at me, no emotions behind his eyes.