Chapter 8

The barn smelled like hay and beer and the loud thumping music playing in the background was giving me a slight headache. I don’t even know why I’m here. I should be home lying in bed not here with a group of people I barely know. They were all in their own conversations drinking beer as I sat looking around at the crowd of people I have never seen before. Maybe I should just leave I’m sure I can walk home from here. I looked over at Amy and Tanner but they didn’t seem to care for me. They were both having a conversation with some people I have never seen before in my life. I need to get some fresh air my head is spinning and my throat is dry.

“I’ll be back.” I said loudly over the music.

“Okay. Don’t be too long.” Tanner said looking away from the conversation and holding on to my arm.

“I won’t.” I said with a small smile.

I walked through the crowd people occasionally bumping into me and me apologizing. I walked over to a plastic table lined with alcohol and red cups I picked up one and placed it to my lips the bitter taste of beer running down my parched throat. I downed it in seconds as the alcohol sent sparks down my arms. I grabbed another cup and made my way to the large doors at the entrance the lights lining the frame illuminating the barn with a warm flickering light.

I walked out the cool breeze hitting my face and blowing my hair back. I took a deep breath and sat down on a bale of hay right outside the door. A few girls came tumbling out of the barn giggling and holding each other for support. I couldn’t help but laugh at how they looking struggling to stand. I really hope they don’t drive home like that maybe I should offer to drive them back, but then I remembered I can’t drive. I placed the cold bitter drink to my lips downing the cup and setting it down on the ground.

“Whoa take it easy.” A raspy voice said behind me.

I turned to see where the voice was coming from and my voice was literally caught in my throat. The boy standing before me looked like Louis but he wasn’t Louis. He had piercings on his lip and eyebrow and his moppy curls were pushed back revealing bright green eyes. His white shirt showing the spiral of tattoos across his chest and one arm had a whole sleeve while the other had a few here and there. I didn’t know what to say so I just gave him a weak smile and stood up from the hay bale.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.” He said the lights sending dancing flames across his face.

“It’s okay.” I said.

“What’s your name?”  He asked setting his red cup down on the hay bale.

“Ellie.” I said.

“I’m Harry.” He said with a smirk that would make any girl drop her pants for him.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled kindly.

If I wanted to get over Louis I should go back to Tanner and not stay here talking to the boy who was so similar to Louis that it made my heart hurt.

“Do you want a drink? Since you downed your last one.” He asked gesturing to my red cup lying on the ground.

“Sure.” I said mentally slapping myself for saying that.

He smiled and grabbed my hand in his making my jump as he turned his tall body towering over most people as we weaved throw the crowd towards the back corner of the barn. A group of people where sitting on hay bales they all looked similar to Louis tattoos and piercings. I looked around and he led me to a hay bale and I sat down.

“Not sure what you were drinking so I got you a beer.” Harry said with a small smile.

“Thank you.” I smiled taking the cool cup in my hands.