Chapter 4. It Has Begun

~ Laith ~

"Aren't you going to follow him in?" Reclaimer Camille Legend said airily beside her. Dressed on her usual colorful crop-top, brown long coat and high heel boots rather than a standard uniform, the super popular young woman leans on a tree not too far away.

"Is he your temporary partner?" Camille so called twin brother, Reclaimer Carlo Legend gesture with his chin to the entrance of the two story homes currently swarming with Enforces and medics alike. Not too much different from his sister, he too dressed in fashionable attire and a dark coat. Leave it to the Legend's to brighten up a crime scene.

"What's the point since the two of you already did that?" Laith glanced at them before setting her sight back at the house. "And yes, he's the one."

At first look, Reclaimers Carlo and Camille Legend will never pass as siblings let alone twins. The blonde, blue eyes and tall Carlo personify Apollo in the pictures, literally. As for Camille coffee color skin and exotic beauty, let's just say peoples' heads turn at her direction all the time. But, here comes the tricky part. They are in fact an actual fraternal twins, as far as engineered baby goes anyway. The magic of modern science and a changing norm, she supposed.

Not to mention, even among Reclaimers, these two seems to be a rather special case. At eighteen, mere two years older that she, they're both already considered as a seasoned veteran. Yet, the twins can stay as each other partner when most working Reclaimers, including her, always go out solo. A clear case of favoritism, peoples at the Hive said. Their parents both held high positions as well as a rare few who made it to their middle age, after all. A true testament of grit when most Reclaimers tend to snuff out early courtesy of their occupational hazards.

Reclaimers job is full of challenges alright. It's like trying to take a candy from a baby. That tiny, harmless baby will use his or her entire arsenal to defend it. Now imagine asking a drug lord or a leader of some country to give back the heart they rent. Fun. But hey, at least the money is good, Laith smile inward.

She gave the house one last through assessment before decided to look around and ditched the troublesome duo. Turning on one of mini floating light from her supplies, Laith begins a slow walk. With luck, something may prove useful. She's only been taking her third steps when the sounds of gravel distract her. Half turning, Laith shots an annoyed glance at the twins.

"You guys want to come or what? Stop these dillydally and do your jobs properly, please." Laith started to move again. There are some feeble protests, but the twins fall in line rather quickly. They're famous for the lack of compliance of any kind but not to her, never towards her. As long as she knows them, albeit the ever present complains, they always ready to help. Not that she's complaining. It's fun to be like for a chance. Especially to be liked by the Legend twins. They can be ruthless, deathly and cunning. But they're also loyal and reliable.

They walk in silence before stopping as Camille stares and picked some glass object in the yard behind the house. After the three of them decided that the glass was useless, they begin to walk again. They just about to arrive back at the starting point when Laith boots steps on something rather unusual. She lowers her body to take a closer looked. It appears to be a small, perfectly round metal object. After looking in every direction and confirming that there's no way that the round object fit on anything near them, she picked it up in between her gloved thumb and forefinger.

"What's that?" Camille leaned to take a better look.

"It looked foreign," Carlo voice his opinion after he conducts the same eye search as Laith did before.

"Should we turn it over to the Enforcers?" Camille said without averting her eyes.

"Hm." Laith put the round object in her palm and slowly roll it with the other hand. "We don't have to. Since Reclaimers do have a partial authority over this case," she said before a frown appears. "Wait a minute. We do have an authority right?"

"I guess?" Camille shrugged. "I mean the conditions are a match with your case earlier this evening. The missing owner of this house is a renter. She rented a brand new kidney. We came to check on it since somebody was whining about weird reading. But, we were instead greeted with a house that looked straight from slicer movie. A total mess and too much blood to come from one person covering the walls with both the renter and the organ still nowhere to be seen. More details coming to your e-Link."

"What she said." Carlo nodded. "That's why we called the Enforcers of this district and you, as instructed by Hive."

"Then yes, we or I in particular, have the authority to do some digging." Laith put the object in a small clear zip-lock bag before tucking it into her pocket. "Two cases in one night. Like it isn't bizarre enough."

Laith needs to dive into this very carefully. It is true that Reclaimers do have broad and far reaching influences. But they still, at the core, an intermediate for hire. She was just about to say thanks to the twins when an additional question pops in her head. "What about the renter? You said it's a she?"

"Yes," they answered in perfect unison.

"A young woman..." Carlo begins.

"By the name of Renata Grim." And Camille ends it.

"Who's only living relative is a brother. He work as a military man a.k.a a Vanguard named Alexander Grim. Who by the way..." Carlo begins again.

"Barging into the house as we speak." Camille finished her brother sentence.

"I see." Laith states calmly before raising one of her eyebrows. "I'm sorry, what?"Laith already move even before her sentence was finished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing the twins, one of my central characters. Stay tune for their next scenes. Anyway, did all of you like them? Thoughts?

As usual, thank you so much for giving this book a chance. I would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to comments. If you like this book, please do vote and add it to your library. Thanks again and read on!

Video : The All-American Rejects - It Ends Tonight