Chapter 36. Cage

~Laith~

She should know better. The premonitions have always been there, every time she was in danger. It became stronger over time, the development of whatever this talent is, no matter how it kept her off balance. To ignore it will almost lead to unwelcome surprises. Coupled with another strange felling of déjà vu, what waiting from them further in can't be good, especially for her.

Take this exact moment for example. What the chance that they walk into not only a top secret lab, but a potentially illegal one to boot.

Hanging inside the icy, humongous closed space, were none other than row after row of tubes. The same tubes they encounter back at Queen's underground hideout. Except, these hanging tubes were neither abandon nor empty. Far from it. These see trough, upgraded version ones host within them bodies. Alive, breathing human beings from wide variety of race, sex and age.

It's one thing to suspect but, when reality hits, no amount of preparation can blunt the effects. God only knows for what kind of purpose these people were keep here. Not that her mind failed to come up with a number of alternatives. Whatever it is, she just can't imagine something good, period.

Laith force her saliva down her dry throat. It wouldn't do to let her feelings surface now, especially if this could well be the lead they've been looking for. Laith glance at Alex's. She can only imagine if they really find the missing persons here. Life was hard enough as a renters; she would definitely prefer they didn't end up as an experimental subject. After making sure that the cost is clear, she jerkily moves to take a look. Laith felt that her companions do the same.

The closest tube her host a male in late twenties. Suspended in some kind of indigo liquid, it's hard to see if he's awake or not. He has a dark brown hair and medium build. Laith studied his face mutinously. Not one of her targets but she take a great deal in remembering his features, just in case somebody miss him. When the task is done, she steeled herself before touching the tube tentatively. The surface is made of glass and cold even through her glove hand.

"Wolf, some insight will be good right about now," Arden said tensely.

Laith can only stare blankly at him. "I don't dare to guest," she whispered. "I really don't know what we encounter here."

"Stop bullshiting me! It's obviously a cultivating tube with living person held in it!" Alex choked and glared at her. "I know Reclaimers must've heard something! You're the bloodhound of our society!"

Camille cleared her throat. "Quite down." Before anybody could pounce at her she adds, "Don't you think before we can jump into any conclusion, we need to look around a bit more?"

"Do you think my sister is..." Alex trailed off.

"Floating somewhere around here? Maybe, maybe not. Nobody really knows, except for the people who run this place," Carlo stated in deadpan tone. So much for being subtle, Laith stares at him as he shrugged, as if telling her they just didn't have the time for it. "And judging the state of these poor sods," Carlo continues and points on one tube, "It might not be a good idea to ask them directly."

Arden sighed. "She's right. We need to know more before we can decide our next move." He paused to surveys the place. Seems to be relaxing at the absence of guards, he stands to his full height and rub his neck. "Since its looks like nobody's here, maybe it's better for us to split up. We can cover more ground and cool our head at the same time."

"Good idea but, don't forget to keep the cloak up. We don't really know what kind of surveillance they run in here," Camille warned as she adjusted her gloves. "Also, our cloaking power is at 65% so be discreet and be fast. We need to move now if we want to make it back alive."