Chapter 9. History Time

~ Arden ~

"What's so difficult digging into information on kidney loan anyway?" Arden said as soon as Laith left the room.

"Are you kidding me pal?" Ratty snort. "Your friend is a Reclaimer yet you didn't have the slightest idea what is organ related loan? Don't tell me you also clueless even towards basic stuff?"

"Why don't you enlighten me?"

"Only to keep you from shooting me. What do you know about the nature of bio-robotics?"

"Not much." It's not like he ever have the needs to, before now.

"Great, an imbecile." Ratty approach a cabinet full of whiskey bottles and reach for a glass. He then takes his time to fill it. After taking a couple of swigs he then tosses himself into one of colorful sofas.

Arden stays standing where he was. "Just get on with it."

"Answer this first, in the olden day, what's the main hurdle in obtaining or conducting an organ transplant?"

"Unmatched donor, the risk of rejections and infections, among many others."

"Bingo. Especially the unmatched part. We used to rely on basic three things: biology, crude tools and doctor skills in reducing all kinds of risk." He pulled a cigarette from his pocket and lights it. "The national data base for organ donors was set up. People sign and wait. That suck but back then, it's manageable. That is, until nature choose to throw another curveball at humanity."

"Ah. The mutations ."

"Yep. That time when babies begin to pop up one after the other with various organ failure for no apparent reason. Naturally, the price of organs and operations skyrocket as well. I'm telling you, we're on the brink of human extinction." Ratty takes a long inhale and blow a grey smoke. "That is until some doctors and engineers came up with a miracle."

"The story about how they successfully grow a heart with prototype nano-bots embedded in it?"

"It's crude. But their works create a base for what we see today. At first, the introduction on of non organic parts only has one purpose; to wipe clean the entire genetic marker from all the donor organs and body-parts." Ratty takes a long intake from his cigarette. "It didn't work, unfortunately. But at least we found a way to buy some time. Bio-robotics might not be the answer we're looking for, but it close enough. And, the rest, as they say, is history."

Arden puts his hands inside his pants pockets. "But, there is a catch."

"Always. Body parts and organs made by combining both bio components and robotics part are still, in a sense, a living organism. The core ingredient is still a living tissue that came only from two sources. You can choose to make one in a state of the art lab for a hefty price with close to zero successful rates. Or you can go the easy way. You can harvest it from a living person, which is illegal, of course." He finished his cig and light up a new one.

"I see," Arden drawled. "It's likely creates some pros and cons. Either way, it still bloody expensive to rent one organ."

"No shit. Nothing but the smell of profit can attract big player like Ranbax. That pharmaceutical company turned organ rent shark saw the potential for the ultimate money maker in it. They introduced a set of rules on what today bio-robotic body parts and organs rental system is based from." 

"If it's so in demand now than ever, why not create a new system that can benefit everyone?"

Ratty scoffs coated with sarcasm. "Drop the naïve act. Like that will ever happen. Look around. Why do you think Ranbax together with this country founding fathers break away?"

"For profits. Instead of finding a cure for the mutation, they decided to create this nation and its leading industry with one clean sweep." Arden slowly shook his head. "With 75% of today population as customers, business is booming. No wonder Ranbax so powerful."

Ratty snickered, fire reflected in his dark eyes. "There you go. In Thaen, Ranbax can consolidate its global power practically undisturbed. Why do you think they build several of their most important research bases here?"

Arden completely forgot whatever he's going to say when all hell breaks loose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even more short. Again, sorry. But, something big is coming. Stay tune!

Thank you so much for giving this book a chance. I would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to comments. If you like this book, please do vote and add it to your library. Thanks again and read on!

Video : MYPET - PAYS TO KNOW