Chapter 21. Temporary Truce

~Laith~

Laith has been wondering when to join the conversation, since she actually alert and listening the whole time. At first, the blow really did throw her off balance. Part of it was because she let her guard down since the other party looked so innocent. Lesson one, just because someone is young and looked harmless doesn't mean they can't deliver a mean blow. And yeah, it hurts like a bitch, the girl sure knows how to hit, but Laith suffered worst. A blow like this won't take her down.

On the other hand, the decision to exaggerate her condition seems to be a good call, Laith thought as she control her breathing, ears attuned to every little sound. She knew that both Arden and Alex were good. They will use whatever leverage they got. The bottom line was, when there's a life to be saved, no line they will not cross. And for a friend, she will throw her personal goal. Her identity search can wait. Their single priority is to find Renata Grim, especially if mini psychos like Ely run rampant among the Scavengers, assuming that they really are the ones who took her. A fact that they need to make sure as soon as possible.

"I do know her. And him," Trevor said quietly after a rather uncharacteristic long pause. "But, she's the one that came to us, desperate for our help so she can acquire an organ loan. I didn't see any reason to blame us for her disappearance."

"Bullshit. She sure as hell doesn't need a loan. She has a decent job, make enough to pay the organ rent fee. She also has me," Alex growled.

Laith decided it's time for her to join the chat. "One more thing, if she can't afford it, they wouldn't rent her the kidney in the first place," she said softly and looked up. She will laugh at how synchronize they all turned their heads towards her if not for her own pulsating head. Laith sees a look of genuine relief at both her peers' faces and shook of heads from the opposite side.

"If all of that is true then she will never come to us or goes missing. For us, a client reign above all. Contrary to popular beliefs, Scavengers, even the derange one like this girl here; do abide by a set of codes. And in case you didn't notice, I rule with an iron fist. My people will never disregard those codes. Besides, from what I've learned so far, there are still a whole lot of pieces missing."

Laith was aware of that. Doesn't mean she will acknowledge it out loud. "So work with us," she directed her offers to Trevor as he retakes his place on the chair. "We know you care about Renata. So does us. Because, as you eloquently stated, contrary to popular beliefs, Reclaimers do give a damn about human life."

There's a strange moment as Laith watched him consider her offer, but she's more relaxed now. After meeting him face to face, she can see him as a somewhat reasonable man, not as a cold blooded thief all secondary sources painted him to be. Of course, the sudden change of heart earlier didn't escape her notice though. But, she'll take the improvement anytime.

"Come on. What's taking so long?" Arden breaks the silence. "You know that this is a win-win situation."

"Please, help us," Alex pleaded. "You must know something."

Laith let out a deep sigh. "Look here. We promise. No false pretenses. We can trade information, in civilize manner, and go our separate ways when everybody satisfied."

"I like them, T. Let's do it. Let's join forces. This can get interesting," Ely suddenly piped up and glanced at Laith. Oh, look, the mini psycho wants to hold hands with her. "A missing client with direct ties to us will be bad for our reputations. I think we got nothing to lose. When things get sour, we can just ditch them and disappear."

"You will never learn tact whatsoever, no matter how many time I teach you, huh?" Trevor glanced at Ely, then back to Laith. "Fine. I agree with what she was saying. If you guys didn't mind then sure, let's strike an alliance. Just for today, I will treat all of you as our allies. I guess all of us can benefit from it somehow." He shrugged.

Well, aren't they a delightful bunch. "Whatever you say." Laith scoffed. "Now, since we're allies, for today, mind taking this off?" She yanked her restrain casually. That action acquires her impressed looked from all of them. For what reason, she really doesn't care.

"Ely, cut them loose." Trevor frowned as he watched Ely moved. "I take your words that all of you won't run. I hate to break this beautiful friendship we just build. And please, don't start a fight. I'll just shoot and won't ask questions after."

Ely reach to remove the binding and smile at Laith. "No hard feeling, right? I hate pain and one that comes from a bullet is annoying." She puts her hands up and slowly moves away as soon as Laith is free.

Laith moved to stand as she wiped the dried blood from her face. She then watched in silence as both Arden and Alex try to stand as soon as the binds were cut. They look tense and jerky.

"There, wild and free. Let's get straight to business. " Trevor's voice sounded bored as he looked at no one particular.

"I thought you never ask," Ely teased him. "So, how are we going to do this? Want some tea?" She tilted her head innocently.

Trevor stands and moved to put his right hand above the girl head and squeeze. "And maybe while we at it, we can eat some cookies too? Yeah, right. We'll make brief exchange of useful info before cutting all ties. Here and now," he said as the girl tries to remove his hand. Both Trevor and Ely now look equally invested in whatever game they are playing.

Laith couldn't help but be impressed at the other man, at how he can easily handle someone as handful as Ely. As she watched their new allies, Arden very discreetly nudged her shoulder. He and Alex glance at what she guessed a medium size cut on her right temple.

"Thanks for the concern. I'm fine," she lowered her voice as they stand close to each other. "Focus on how we can make use this opportunity."

"Easy for you to say," Arden whisper and shook his head slowly. "They take our weapons. They jammed our e-Linksand comms. We might be able to strike this deal with a boatload of luck and wit. But, when it comes to what matters, we're at a disadvantage here."

"We can't give up now," Alex quietly but determinedly stated his opinion. His sight never strays from the Scavengers duo. "Not when we're this close to a solid clue."

Laith understands his desperation to cling at hope, no matter how fleeting it must be. What can they do other than agreeing with him? They have to believe that his sister is alive somewhere, waiting to be rescue. Other alternatives just too horrible to imagine, let alone comprehend. And she can see Arden too agrees. Their priority is to find Renata Grim. All other inquiries must wait. It doesn't mean they will take any bull throw their way lying down though.

"Return our belongings and restore our e-Links first, and then we'll talk," Laith calmly stated for all to hear.

Three people stared down at her in surprise. Ely just giggled. "See. I told you she's interesting. We're going to have so much fun together."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little fun fact. Picking the song for this chapter was harder than usual. Wonder why...

Thank you so much for giving this book a chance. I would love to hear your feedback, so feel free to comments. If you like this book, please do vote and add it to your library. Thanks again and read on!

Video : Alice Russell - Citizens