Chapter 26. Hole

Unedited

~Arden~

Arden looked over at Laith as he turned away from the damn building. Here she is, back at the clown house unconcerned as ever. He exhaled a long exasperated sigh. He had wondered why he hadn't voiced his objection harder. Now he knew why. All thanks to this protective instinct inside him that comes alive every time he looks at her.

As Reclaimer, she must've confronted all kind of renters, working as their point of contact and aiding in bringing peace rather than hostile takeover, as many of them were eager for bloodshed rather than compliance. She also acted as the link between one of the most lucrative yet secretive businesses in the world and the outside world. She was a lone fighter. Until now. No matter how baseless, useless, and unnecessary this protectiveness may seem, he just can't help it.

"Are we going in or what?" Laith tilted her head towards the building.

He slowly wiped his hands over his face with a tired motion. Blasted all, life tried to shove him in trouble every chance it got, and this time he finally stumble face first. What can he do now? He glanced back at the damn rundown building, willing it to crumble. No such luck.

"Let's get this over with." Arden opened the door, slide from the passenger seat and stepping outside the vehicle.

He waits patiently as Alex slide out the back door and the twins mounted off their jetcycles. They moved silently under the cover of darkness, the only visible sign is their misty breath. Crossing the street, they jog before pressing themselves against the front walls. Listening for several long minutes as silence greeted them, Laith finally gave the signal to move.

They entered the building, staring around at the wide empty open space. The interior was colder than the air outside by several degrees, but that's not why they stopped. What's stopping them was the state of this place. Gone were the lights, crowds and that bustling underground club. Instead, a heavy darkness seems to douse everything.

Arden signaled the others to be on guard before drawing his own gun. He hold it in front of him comfortably as they move further through the wide empty room, then into a smaller, dim-lit hallway. Soon, the sight of familiar antique door greeted them. They cautiously approached it. No sound from the other side.

"Ready?" He put his left hand at the door handle and looked around at the faces around him.

"Repetitive much?" Laith suddenly chirped just as the rest nodded at him. All of them pause to give her various meaning looks. She smirked and waves her hand, as if telling them the joke was over and it's time to move on. Arden shot her a last warning look before turning the handle and pushed the door open.

Arden lowered his position when he steps into the room as the rest of the group follow suit. His e-Link automatic night vision mode was activated as soon as he entered. Quick scan of the room confirm it to be empty. He checks with the rest of the team and was given the same answer. Walking towards the control panel, he change the voice activated light system to dim setting before giving it a go.

As the light filter the room, Camille straightened and glanced at him. "Maybe it's their day off?"

"More like it's a forced eviction." Arden walked towards the big mahogany table in the center on the room and begun flipping through things.

"Well, this was a little disappointing. I thought you said she install some sick surveillance mojo and will spot any intruders from a mile away." Carlo holstered his gun as he wondered around.

"She did talk to us remotely using a creepy voice the last time we were here," Laith came to his defense.

"Should we check the entire building?" Alex said as he peeked through a window at far right of the room.

Arden keeps flipping through things as he let the question hang. Something is telling him that she was no longer here. What had always never confused him was the fact that he understands Queen very much. He understands how much she was attached with her possession. She will never leave this place so intact. This very fact told him that she might not be willing to make an exit but it's still not enough to worry him. So far there was no proof to either confirmed or denied anything.

He breathed wearily, his eyes falling on the big bookcase as he absentmindedly reached for it. He picked one book and tossed it aside. He did it again and again, going systematically from the top selves down. No more running away for him and that means he have to remember what it used to be like back then. Like Queen herself used to say, it sure fun while it lasted, but nothing can last forever.

Since the old days, Queen was the kind of person who thinks ahead when it comes to her safety. He bet she know that her system won't be able to keep everything out forever. If she's still the same woman she used to be then there's bound to be some contingency plan hidden around here somewhere. He's just about to lower himself to check the last row when a loud clicking sound alarmed him.

Arden tossed a quick scan and land his sight at a slightly tilt standing lamp by the far end if the room. "Wolf? What did you do?"

"I'm doing what you're doing. Looking for a secret escape route." She tilted the lamp further. It caused the clicking sound to get louder until the whole room seemed to vibrate. Arden was about to tell everybody to clear the space when a shift happen. One minute the floor was there and the next a hole take its place, not far from where Laith stands.

Arden went to her and so did the others. Hunching down beside her, he stared into the deep dark hole. He then eyed her from his peripheral vision. Her lips were slightly parted, mocking and admiring at the same time. Her dark lashes lay thick and long on her cheeks as she squints her eyes as if trying to look further into what lies ahead.

"I can't believe she build something like this." Laith reached towards one of her belt pockets, takes out a small drone and dropped it inside.

They hold collective breath as the mini drone hover around. It glowed and highlighted several uneven surfaces before finally flies deeper. The twins tossed three more drones as the rest of them watched using shared e-Links line.

"Should we send more drones?" Alex takes out his dragonfly-bot.

Carlo shook his head. "Nah, the feeds came back clean. I think we better go down and see for ourselves what's in store."

Camille lips thinned. "That's sound like you just want to dive into danger head first."

"Well, I guess it's decided. One trip to secret dark tunnel coming right up," Carlo chirped as he eyed the hole.

The rest of them didn't answers; they merely breathed in deeply as though he's just voice what everybody else has been dreading about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware unedited parts.

Anyway, thanks again for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote.

Video : Muse - Supermassive Black Hole