10

"Watson, I'm home!" Liam calls as he unlocks the front door to his flat and pushes it open. He becomes worried when he doesn't see Watson right away. Usually, He is waiting for Liam on the other side of the door when it opens, but today he wasn't, which worried Liam.
    "Watson?" He calls again, looking into his home to be answered by a loud bark and the sound of happy paws running on the wooden floor. A few seconds later, he sees Watson bounding toward him. Before he can stop him, Watson jumps up on Liam, resting his front paws on Liam's shoulders, their faces just inches away from each other's. Watson barks,  licking his face excitedly, almost knocking Liam over from the impact.
   "No! No! Bad dog!" Liam chides as he pushes Watson's paws off his shoulders. "Keep all your feet on the floor thank you," he tells him for the millionth time. Watson barks and jumps excitedly around Liam, happy to have him home again. Liam can't help but smile and pet Watson's head happily, making his short stubby tail wag back and forth.
Liam sets the plastic grocery bags down on the steps.
     "Look what I found for you!" Liam states as he quickly picks up a stick that was lying nearby. It immediately catches Watson's attention and he stares at the stick with full concentration. nothing else in the world mattered any more but that stick.
   "Sit boy sit. Sit. Sit!!" Liam demands with a laugh. "Sit! Hey!! Do you hear what I'm saying to you? Sit!!!!" He repeats. Finally, Watson understands and obediently sits back on his haunches, patiently waiting for Liam to throw the stick.
    He waits a few seconds, then tosses the stick as far as he can and watches Watson chase after it with long strides. He catches it and brings it back, dropping it at Liam's feet, panting up at him expectantly. Liam smiles and tosses the stick a few more times, Watson bringing it back to him each time.
   After a few minutes, Watson grows bored of chasing the stick and climbs up the stairs and into Liam's home.
    "You done already?" Liam asks as he watches Watson reappear in the doorframe.
   "Maybe we'll go for a walk later tonight? How does that sound to you, mate?" Liam asks Watson as he walks back up the steps to his front door, joining him. He pauses and glances up at the sky observantly. "It doesn't look like rain for once," he adds with a slightly surprised tone. "A perfect night for a walk," he adds with a smile.
     Watson barks impatiently at Liam. "Sorry! I'm coming! I'm coming!" He assures him dismissively. "Since when are you in a hurry?" He mutters as he closes the door behind himself and walks through his home to the kitchen. He puts away all the food in its proper place and makes a small snack for himself.
He takes his stuff into the living room and watches a program or two on the television, enjoying doing nothing for once in his busy life.
When the shows are over, he stands up and searches around the room for Watson's collar and leash.
"Sit Watson," he instructs. Watson obeys, but whines unhappily as Liam tries to slip the collar around his neck.
"Hey, I know you don't like it. But if you wanna go out you gotta wear it," Liam tells him as he sits back. "I'm sorry. That's just how it has to be," he adds apologetically. Watson groans again and walks in a slow circle around Liam, rubbing his head against his back affectionately. "Come on now," he tells him. Eventually, Watson complies and stands still in front of Liam and allows him to carefully fasten the uncomfortable collar around his thin neck.
"Ready to go on that walk now?" Liam asks Watson as he picks up the long dog leash. Watson barks happily and jumps around excitedly, immediately forgetting about his discomfort. "Sit still will you!" Liam tells him with a laugh . Reluctantly, Watson obeys and sits impatiently as Liam clips the chain onto his collar.
"Alright, ready to go?" He asks as he leads Watson outside onto the small cement porch steps. He glances up at the sky again and gladly sees it is clear and beautiful with only a few clouds floating lazily along their paths. Still no sign of rain.
The man and his dog walk down the street in the beautiful late afternoon, enjoying the weather and sunshine that was quite uncommon for this time of year.
They walk until they reach a small quiet park where Liam thinks it safe to let Watson off his leash to run free and play with the few other dogs that were roaming the park as well.