3

"Wow, they really got you pretty good," Liam comments as he carefully Examines the bruises and cuts disgracing the stranger's well-structured, tanned face. "What did they even want from you anyway?" Liam inquires. The man sits quietly on the counter-top, not showing any inclination to answer Liam's question but staring at the floor. Liam sighs and continues applying the special creme to his face. "This should help with the swelling," he explains as the man groans from the stinging pain.
    "Sorry about that..." Liam apologizes guiltily.
    "So... What's your name?" Liam wonders, trying to distract the stranger from the pain.
      "Zxzyn," he replies through grit teeth and a pained scowl. Liam pauses his remedying and stares at the man with a questionable expression on his face, half from surprise that he actually spoke and half from confusion of what he actually said.
       "Umm..." Liam trails off, unsure what to say. "I didn't quite catch that," he admits apologetically.
    "Zxzyn," he repeats frustratedly. Liam glances back at Paul who shrugs cluelessly.
    "It sounded like you said Zayn.... Would it be alright if I called you Zayn?" Liam asks.
    "Whatever," the man replies irritably. Liam nods and finishes his job off by placing a thin strip of white medical tape over a deep cut  on his prominent cheek bone.
    "All done," Liam tells him with a smile.  "Well, it seems like you'll be okay so.... you can go home now," Liam says. He pauses when he sees the scrunched up, over dramatic frown on Zayn's face.
    "I don't... I have no home," he  shares.
     "Oh..." Liam replies awkwardly. "Well.... You could stay at my place a few days until you find somewhere else," Liam offers "if-if you want," he adds quietly. Zayn glances up at Liam, looking him over with a careful eye.
   "Okay," he shrugs after a few seconds of deep consideration.
    "Hang on a second!" Paul interjects as he grabs Liam's arm and drags him into one of the aisles, out of Zayn's hearing.
   "Are you mad??!!" He demands in a hushed yell.
   "I just want to help him," Liam defends.
    "That's great but think this through first. You can't just invite a complete stranger into your home!! Especially.... One that looks like him," Paul finishes as he glances at Zayn who looks up at him when he realizes he's being watched.
   "What's that supposed to mean?? Just because he has tattoos and darker skin he's automatically a bad person?" Liam asks frustratedly in Zayn's defense.
   "No no that's not what I meant at all, lad," Paul assures him as he pats his shoulder."I just have this bad feeling about him. I don't know what it is... But I wouldn't trust him," Paul warns Liam who brushes it off.
    "Come on. What's he gonna do to me? Clearly he can't defend himself that well. He just got jumped by some lousy thugs," Liam reminds Paul who frowns in displeasure.
    "Just be careful," he finally surrenders. He knew there was no arguing with Liam.
    "There's nothing to worry about," Liam assures him again. "He'll only be with me a couple days and then he'll be out of my life. No problems," he adds confidently.
    "I hope you're right..." Paul mutters. Liam smiles reassuringly and turns back to where Zayn sat, boredly  playing with one of the thick silver rings on his fingers.
   "Hey, Zayn, you ready to go?" Liam calls to him. He looks up and brushes his dark hair away from his face.
   "Yeah," he answers as he hops down from the counter.
   "Thanks again Paul," Liam thanks him for saving them.
   "Don't mention it. Just remember..." He pauses, his voice low and serious. "Keep an eye on him," he finishes glancing over at Zayn again.
  "I know," Liam tells him patiently. "Good night," he finishes as he waves to Paul.
   "Yeah good night to you too," the old man mutters in return as the two men leave his small shop.