2

Slowly, Liam makes his way toward the huddled figure on the ground with Paul close behind him, holding his broom up for protection as a weapon.
"Careful Liam," Paul advises warningly. "You don't know who this could be..." He adds. Liam continues forward, until he is only a few feet away.
"Hello?" Liam greets, reaching out toward the shadow, startling it. Liam jumps back in surprise at the sudden outburst of movement as the figure falls back against the wall.
"Please..... I don't-I-I have no money. Please..." The figure stammers nervously, cowering against the wall, hiding it's face in its arms. "Please don't hurt me..." He begs quietly, his voice barely audible.
"It's alright. We want to help you," Liam assures him as he slowly scoots closer to the man. "I'm Liam, this is Paul," he introduces.
"hello," Paul greets kindly.
"It's okay. The bad men who hurt you are gone now. They won't do anything to you," Liam assures him as he stops in front of the person, looking down at him. Slowly, he bends down in front of him and gently rests a hand on his bony knee, which he jerks away nervously at Liam's sudden touch.
"It's okay. You can trust us," Liam promises again. Slowly, the man looks up at Liam with wide, brown eyes full of terror and confusion. A few loose strands of dark hair hang down limply in front of his eyes.
Those eyes....
Liam couldn't look away, no matter how hard he tried.
"Will you come inside?" Liam wonders, finally breaking the prolonged silence. Slowly, the man nods, staring back down at the grand.
Liam smiles and carefully helps the man stand only to see him stumble like a newborn deer trying out its legs for the first time.
"Careful, careful," Liam instructs compassionately as he catches the stranger, supporting his body with his own. He hangs his head and sighs, a cry of embarrassment and frustration.
"That's alright," Liam assures him as the man slings an arm over Liam's shoulders for support. Slowly, he allows Liam to guide him out of the cold, dark night and into the safety of the small corner grocery store.