~Chapter Two~

"Now, a few notes about what many scientists call the 'energy of life'. Adenosine Triphosphate, or 'ATP' for short," Mr Carter was saying to our class; beginning to write some fresh notes on the board.

"Hey, you don't happen to have a spare pen on you, do you Ange?" Jackson whispered to me.

"Um...p-pardon me?" I gulped.

"A spare pen," he repeated, "I need one,"

"O-Oh, um...y-yeah I-I think I have one..." I searched through my pencilcase and pulled out a spare black pen, "h-here you go,"

"Thanks, doll," he smiled and took the pen from me, "you're a gem."

I faintly smiled back in return. I never used to be treated this kindly by any guy - and it was actually quite nice.

"I'll give it back at the end of the day. That's OK, right?" Jackson smiled at me and brushed his finger against my cheek.

My breath hitched at the sudden touch. "U-Um...y-yeah, th-that's...fine," I gulped.

That was just a little too much contact for a guy I'd just met.

I tried my best not to overthink things and decided to make myself focus on what Mr Carter was writing on the board. However, while he was still in the middle of writing, the bell rang - and almost immediately everyone piled out of their seats and rushed out of class.

"Class dismissed!" I heard the teacher call out sarcastically to the students walking out the door.

"What d'you have next?" Jackson asked me.

"Um...I-I..." I took my timetable out of my pocket and peered at it, "I-I have English class,"

"Teacher initials?" He asked me.

"Uhh...SLV?"

Jackson's face fell. "Damn. That stands for Ms Silva. I have Mr Godfrey," he rolled his eyes.

"Ms Silva is my English teacher too," I jumped as I realised that Harry was still in the room - swinging his rucksack over his shoulder and walking over to me, "I can take you to class if you want, new girl."

I was startled at his kind offer. Didn't he look like he wanted to kill everybody just this morning?

All the same though, if he was offering...

"U-Um, y-yeah, th-that'd be nice," I looked up at him and smiled nervously, "th-thanks,"

He smiled back at me, and for some reason I found it strangely pacifying.

"Alright. Whenever you're ready."

"Styles being a gentleman?" Jackson said in mock-astonishment, "I never thought I'd see the day,"

Harry's face hardened as he turned to face him.

"Can it, Morris," he snapped.

Jackson held up his hands in surrender. "Touchy, touchy. Whatever. I'll see you 'round, Angelique,"

He grabbed his school bag and walked out of the room, leaving me and Harry all alone.

"Ready to go?" He looked down at me.

I nodded slowly. "Mhmm,"

He smiled again. "Just follow me."

***

"By the way," Harry bit his lip as we walked down the halls together, "I'd like to, er, apologise for what happened...outside Gardiner's office," he began nervously, "I didn't mean to snap at you, I was just...having a rough morning,"