~Chapter Six~

As soon as I made it to my room after school that day, the first thing I did was fire up my laptop and check my email to see if I had gotten a reply about the inquiry I made last week. As soon as my email home screen popped up, I felt a bright smile spread across my face as it turned out I actually had received the message I'd been waiting for.

Claudine Belrose – Re: Subject Swap

After closing my eyes and taking a deep breath; I clicked on the unread message and began to read.

From: Claudine Belrose (c.belrose@outlook.com)

To: Angélique van Raay (angie.vraay@hotmail.com)

Subject: Re: Subject Swap

Bonjour Miss van Raay,

I apologise deeply for the late reply – I have been so busy marking homework tasks these past few days. I was very happy to see you express your interest in taking the French course at Crystalgate High. I am also very glad to say that I would be delighted to have you in my class.

I have already processed it with the school's academic co-ordinator – your classes have been swapped and your timetable has been changed. All that is left to do is for you to see Mr Gardiner tomorrow morning (or whenever you are able) so that he can print out your new timetable for you, and you can start right away. Your weekly classes will be on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays – replacing the slots you have your History classes, as requested.

I look forward to seeing you in my class, Angélique.

Sincerely,

Madame Belrose

I couldn't fight the smile spreading across my face. I couldn't believe it. I'd actually been accepted into a French class despite the late notice. And in exchange for History, too. Could this news get any better?

Goodbye Black Plague, hello baguettes.

Excitedly, I quickly typed out a reply to Mrs Belrose.

From: Angélique van Raay (angie.vraay@hotmail.com)

To: Claudine Belrose (c.belrose@outlook.com)

Subject: Re: Subject Swap

Thank you so much, madame! I can't wait to start!

"Angélique!" My mother called from the kitchen, "Hurry, darling – dinner's ready!"

"Coming, mum!"

I quickly sent off the email and switched off my computer before coming into the kitchen with a huge grin plastered onto my face.

"Yas!" I clapped my hands as I saw what was on the dinner table, "Bangers & Mash – my fave!"

Mum laughed. "You seem in a very good mood tonight, my dear,"

"Mhmm," I nodded vigorously as I sat down at the table, "D'you wanna know why?"

"Darling, I'm your mother. Of course I want to know why,"