12.

My parents arrived on the 22nd at around 10 in the morning. I picked them up from LAX and took them back to my apartment so they could shower and nap. They'd brought a huge supply of Tim Tams and Vegemite with them, which was one great thing about their visit. After they'd rested and showered they insisted I take them to church in the evening, and I reluctantly obliged. I wasn't even sure where the nearest catholic church was. Thanks to google I found something not too far away.

I had teaching the next day, so I left my parents to explore the nearby area while I went to work. Some of my students had heard it was my birthday, and brought balloons into the lecture hall. I actually felt quite flattered. None of my students ever addressed me as anything other than Professor. I wasn't sure they saw me as an actual human being.

I got home in the early afternoon, and got ready to go out. Mum disapproved of my chosen outfit of a dark green halter dress with black mesh petticoat poking out from under the mid thigh length skirt. She also said I was wearing too much makeup when I chose to put on a dark red lip gloss and made me change it to something more natural. I'm glad she couldn't see what I was wearing under my dress. The way they dressed worried me a lot. My mum wore this long black dress with white lace around the neckline, cuffs and hem of the dress. Her blond hair was pinned into a tight bun and her glasses highlighted her steel blue eyes. Dad was in a black suit. His warm golden complexion which was actually due to the fact he was one quarter Australian Aboriginal, was often confused with a tan. In the suit it looked like he spent his life outside officiating burials all day. They both looked really intimidating, and I was scared that they'd planned scaring Chris off or something.

I drove my parents to Chris' place. I actually had avoided telling them pretty much anything about him other than he existed. And they berated me with questions on the way over there. When we pulled into his drive way, mum seemed to breath a sigh of relief.

"Well it looks like he has a nice home at least. What did you say he did?" She asked.

"I didn't. He's an actor."

"Oh, Emily. I don't know about this. I read the magazines. Those actor types don't seem to be very moral people." My dad scolded. I rolled my eyes and got out of the car.

Chris was outside before I even reached the door. He was beaming at me, and pulled me into a huge hug. "Happy Birthday, gorgeous." He said before kissing me.

My parents watched with quite obvious sneers on their faces.

"Chris, these are my parents, Helen and Patrick. Mum, dad. This is Chris." Chris greeted them both warmly, kissing my mum on the cheek and shaking my dad's hand. He ushered us inside, and out to the patio. I noticed as we passed through the house there were a couple of people cooking in the kitchen wearing uniforms.

"Did you hire caterers?" I asked him as we passed the kitchen.

"I sure did. It's your birthday, it needs to be special." He beamed. And I felt myself blush as he gave my shoulder a squeeze.

Chris and I had decided to have about a half hour of time alone with my parents before Scott and Gaby were due to arrive, just so they could get to know him a bit on his own. We sat down around the outdoor table, and Chris pulled a gift out from under his chair and handed it to me. It was a flat and rectangular, and was beautiful wrapped in a shimmering purple paper with ribbons that looked like shining galaxies. I pulled the card free and opened it.

To Em, the girl I love.
Enjoy your birthday – Chris.

While I'd been reading the card, my mum had already started the interrogation.