13.

I stayed with Chris the next day until the early afternoon. A few weeks earlier he'd talked me into leaving spare clothes at his house. Mostly because I was terrible at remembering to bring any with me, and he kept ruining my underwear. So it was nice that I had clean clothes to change into.

I returned home and checked in on my parents. They'd gone out, but had left a note to tell me they'd see me tonight. I headed over to work, and decided to do some class preparation, and a little research for my up coming project. I was sitting on my exercise ball that I often switched out for my chair, browsing Facebook instead of doing either of those other things I'd gone to do, when there was a knock on my office door.

"It's open," I called out.

Chris entered. "I knew you would be here instead of home."

"I am the queen of avoidance." I answered getting up and kissing him. "And why are you here? I just left you two hours ago."

"I wanted you to have these" He handed me three keys keys and a gate button. "This is for the security gate. This one is for the door lock, this is the dead bold and this is the screen door." He said pointing to each key at a time. "That way if you need to get away from your parents at all, you have somewhere to go."

I stared down at the keys in my hand, and then up at him. "But ... I – I ..." I stammered. I couldn't think of any words.

"I think what you're trying for there is 'Oh thank you, Chris. You are the best, most handsomest man in the world. I am so lucky to have you.'" Chris teased.

I punched him in the chest, but he caught my hand and pulled me to him, kissing me.

"Want me to take you and your parents out for dinner, tonight? Give you one more night you don't have to be alone with them seeing as I won't be back until after they leave."

I groaned. "I want you to stay and have dinner without them being there. Do they have to be there?"

"Well, I guess you can keep avoiding them forever if you want. They'll be back in Australia soon enough."

"I guess I better not. I do want you to come though. But I don't want to subject you to them again. You decide."

"I'll go with you." He said. "Come on then, lets go get it over with."

* * * * *

Dinner wasn't terrible. My parents had taken the same ignore what had happened approach as I had. They also seemed to back of the interrogation of Chris, maybe worried I'd lose my shit again.

Chris left for Boston the next day while I was taking my parents to Universal Studios. The next few weeks were painful, but not unbearably so. I hid at work a fair bit, but I still took mum and dad to Disney, we visited Venice beach, which of course they hated, and I took them to the La Brea tar pits. Otherwise they amused themselves most of the time, only coming home to eat with me, and occasionally criticise me for either spending too much time at work or not enough, or maybe I wasn't dressing professionally enough.

When they left, I felt like I could breathe again. I immediately arranged for a hang out session with Gaby, and she took me into Anaheim to see the Ducks play.