17.

The morning of Christmas eve Chris and I decided to take a run together, like we usually did when one of us had slept over. Chris also thought it would be a good way to see a little bit of his home town. I dressed in yoga pants, a warm hoodie and a pair of gloves. I was not at all used to the cold Boston winter. It hadn't snowed yet, which was a little sad. I'd never experienced a white Christmas. But it was still freezing outside.

The house was bustling when we got down stairs, and I suddenly felt very guilty about our plans. Lisa and Shanna were in the kitchen making breakfast for everyone. I offered to help, but was shooed out the door. We found Scott at the front door, lacing up his trainers, he'd obviously had a similar idea as we did, so we agreed to all go running together. We gathered up the three dogs currently sharing the house and headed off.

I am a much faster runner than both Chris and Scott. I mean, they could out sprint me easily, but my general long distance running speed, they wasted a lot of energy and I could take two or three paces for every one of theirs without really breaking a sweat. Back in LA, when I'd run with Chris, I'd find ways to slow myself down. Jogging slowly for a bit while we talked, and then running ahead. Finding something else to occupy myself as he caught back up. I'd practice my parkour when I could, while he jogged the easy route. Chris didn't mind, he wasn't competitive, and he was built more for strength than speed, but I didn't know my way around Boston. So I started doing things like running backwards in front of them. Or going around them in circles.

"Oh my god, Emily! Cut it out!" Scott snapped, as I circled them for the fifth time. "How is she so quick?"

We had turned into a big flat park, and the dogs had all run off in different directions.

"Look at her, she's built like a whippet." Chris said. "You know what she can do that's really impressive?"

Both the boys had stopped and started stretching, while I still jogged on the spot. Scott raised his eye brow. "I don't know if I want to hear about that at all."

"Well, yeah, that." Chris laughed. I felt myself blush. "But also, parkour. Sometimes when we go running she runs ahead and just starts flipping over shit, climbing up the sides of walls and stuff. It's crazy."

Scott made a weird derisive snort.

"She can! Show him, Em."

I looked around the park. It was big and flat, a few park benches here and there, and some trees, but nothing that really led itself to any kind of impressive free running. There was a series of small rocks down the side of the path, and I jumped up on one "Parkour!" I sang, posing like an idiot and then rather embarrassing wobbling and falling off the rock.

"Seriously, though Em." Chris said.

"Where exactly? It's completely flat in here. I could jump over a bench, but I'm pretty sure you could jump over a bench too."

Chris shrugged. "I guess you'll just have to believe me, bro." They started running again, and I chased after them.

"I am never going to believe it, until I see it." Scott scoffed.

I chased off after the dogs for a minute, thinking about how I could prove myself. I wasn't sure why I needed to prove myself, but I really did. And then it came to me.

I jogged back to the boys. "I could go up the side of your house if you want."

"You can not." Scott said.

"She says she can. I'd believe her."

Scott rolled his eyes.

"Come on then. I'll prove it."