14.

December bought with it the end of my first quarter of teaching. I was hanging at Chris' place with him and Gaby one Saturday afternoon. We were sitting outside on the patio. Gaby and I at the table with our laptops and a whole pile of notes in front of us, and Chris sitting cross legged on the grass in the sun, East's head in his lap while he drew on a large sketch pad.

Gaby was helping me go over potential exam questions. I was worried I would make the questions either too hard or too easy. While I looked over some findings she'd just made regarding the genetics of a small colony of Californian Sea Lions that lived up the coast.

Gaby threw her pen down in frustration. "Tell him to stop staring at us." She said.

Chris looked up and grinned sheepishly at us.

"Sorry, Gabs. I did actually think he was an actor, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that yet." I said.

"Just taking a break, ladies. I'm sure the perfect role of goofy jock will pop up any day now, and it will be my time to shine again."

"Can't you go play that piano or something? I can't take you staring at us any more!" Gaby complained.

"I'm not sure he can play it. I think it's just decorative."

Chris got to his feet "Oh ye of little faith." He handed the sketch book to us. The picture he had been drawing was stunning. He wasn't a perfect artist by any means and the drawing was just of Gaby and I, sitting here working at the table, but it was like I was seeing us through this weird lens that highlighted all of our positive traits. We looked, happy and beautiful and full of life. I felt my stomach flip.

Chris had gone inside, but left the door open. I could hear him shuffling around at the piano.

"Is this how you really see us?" I called out to him, I ran my finger along the drawing.

"It's how you look! Silly girls!" He yelled back.

"Oh my god, Emmy!" Gaby said, taking the sketch book from me. "This is so good. Do you think he'd let me have it?"

"But, I want it..."

"Too bad, I called dibs!" She hugged the book to her chest.

Piano music started up. I instantly recognised it as the beginning of 'Part of Your World' from the Little Mermaid. My head spun around my mouth agape. Chris started singing the lyrics. "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat ..."

"What the?" Gaby said. "You didn't know he could play?"

"He told me he could, but I'd never heard him do it. I thought it must be just like, a little." I looked at Gaby my eyes wide. "Um, Gaby, you're a biologist. Can you get pregnant from people playing the piano?"

Gaby laughed. "I don't know, but if you are, I am too."

We started giggling and then darted inside and sat on the bed, watching Chris play. We joined in with him singing. Gaby had a beautiful voice. And by the time the song ended my face hurt from smiling so much.

"What the hell, Chris?" Both Gaby and I said in unison.

"Can't play the piano, huh?" He teased.

"You have sheet music for the Little Mermaid." I said.

"I was learning it for you." He smiled. "Chicks love the piano."

I blushed deeply and then threw a pillow at him.

"Play the theme song to Twin Peaks!" Gaby said, bouncing up and down on the bed.