18.

That night after we ate I went up to Chris' room alone. It was Christmas in Australia and I wanted to Skype with my parents and brother, and send some messages to my friends back home. I was lying on the bed sending messages back and forth with Gaby, when a notification popped up from Shan, one of my closest friends in Australia that I had done my undergrad degree with. It was a link to a YouTube clip for a song called 'White Wine in the Sun.' by Tim Minchin.

-Made me think of you.- Shan had written along with the link.

I hit play. The song was funny and was totally me. It articulated my feelings about Christmas beautifully. But then it turned sweet and beautiful. As the song finished I was crying freely.

-Thanks, Shan. That was amazing. I am crying now, you jerk.- I wrote back.

Chris chose that time to come into the room to check on me.

"Oh no! Em! What happened? Were your parents assholes?" He crawled up next to me and spooned me against him.

I let out a weak laugh. "No more than usual. No, it wasn't them. They were okay. Just emotional music listening. You know how it is?"

"Music did this to you? I'll teach it to mess with my girl!" He joked.

Taking my face in his hands he kissed me. "Mm... wet." He said as we broke apart.

"Didn't anyone ever teach you not to kiss crying girls? Rookie mistake."

I curled myself into a ball and snuggled myself into Chris' chest.

"It's Christmas tomorrow," Chris said, running his fingers up and down my back.

"Mm..." I hummed.

"You excited?"

"Yeah, I love Christmas. It's when my family would all be more family. I usually got to see my grandparents when they were alive, and my Aunt and Uncle. I actually do get on well with my cousins. I wish I saw them more."

"You sad not to be back home with them?" Chris asked me gently.

"Yeah ... No. I don't know." I sighed "I've never not had Christmas back in Australia. It's just weird feeling. But I'm really happy to be here with you. I want to make a new life away from that one. And this is an awesome start to that, whatever happens in the future."

"I'm glad you came up with me. I know it's a lot of pressure to be under. Meeting my parents, and then staying in mom's house for a week over the holidays."

"In for a penny."

Chris started humming a song, as he ran his fingers up and down my back. I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew, I was tucked into bed, still fully clothed, Chris snoring gently beside me, his arm draped over me.

I looked at the clock radio beside the bed. 5:16. I groaned and rolled over. After a while, I gave in to the fact I wasn't going back to sleep now. I slid out from under Chris' arm and crept downstairs.

When I opened the door to the kitchen the dogs went crazy, so in an effort to keep them quiet I took them into the backyard. Snow had fallen overnight. It was just a light powder that wouldn't last long once the sun came up. I didn't care. It was snow on Christmas. The dogs had darted off and were running around, rolling in it, jumping on each other, dashing back and forth. I stepped out into it in bare feet and picked up a handful. I threw the snow in the air, and East tried to catch it. It exploded in his face and I laughed.

When the cold got too much for my feet I went and lay down on the porch swing. There was a rug hanging over the back and I tucked my feet into it and lay there watching the dogs play and waiting for the sun to come up. After a while, they wore themselves out and came and sat together under the bench. I hung one arm over the side and patted them absentmindedly.