Chapter 8 - Faye Lenards

"Listen up," our teacher, Ms. Hopkins, spoke. "Time to pick partners for the semester. I'll let you all choose. I'm not going to assign them. Go ahead, get with a partner and choose where you two want to sit. I'll pass a paper around so you can both write your names down."

Several people in the class stood from their seats and walked around. Some people paired up. I stayed where I was, I would prefer to work by myself.

"Hey, there, Hon," I heard beside me.

I turned and came face to face with Paxton. More like face to chest, since he was much taller and I was sitting down.

"Miss me? I missed you, too." He sat on the stool, beside me, to my right. He had Hannah on his lap.

"Lenox, how many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me 'hon?'"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't recall you telling me that."

Someone behind us handed him a paper, and he wrote something down. He passed it forward.

"What was that?"

"The sheet to write down partner names. We're partners now." He grinned.

"No, we are not."

"Too late now."

"Whatever," I mumbled.

"Alright, I have the sheet," Ms. Hopkins spoke. "Did everyone sign their names?" Her eyes scanned the classroom. "Alright, good. So now we'll get started on baking cookies. You all should know what cookies you'll be baking today. Go ahead and get started. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask."

Everyone went back to minding their business.

"So what kind are we baking? I forgot."

"Sugar cookies," I spoke.

He nodded his head.

I took out the recipe from under the counter.

"What should I get?" he asked.

If we were going to be partners, I might as well put him to good use.

"Get the bowl and things like that. Also, the aprons. I'll get the ingredients."

I walked away and walked to the front of the classroom. I retrieved the ingredients we needed and headed back to our counter.

Paxton came back at the same time I did. He was carrying the mixing bowl and a couple other things we needed. He had two aprons draped over his shoulder. He put them down on the counter.

"Here you go." He handed me a pink apron. It had red flowers on it.

I held it up in my hands then gave it back to him. I took the blue apron from his hands.

"Uh...are you sure you want the blue one?"

"Are you saying that just because I'm a girl I should wear the pink one?" I eyed him.

He rubbed the back of his head. "No, no." He put the pink apron on and tied it behind himself.

I chuckled at the sight. I then put on the blue apron myself and tied it.

"Let's get started," I spoke.

After we washed our hands, I got started on one mixture, while I showed Paxton how to do another. He got the right ingredients and the right measurements. We mixed both of the mixtures together and it turned into cookie dough. I rolled it out on the counter over large disposable parchment paper.

"Okay, so I got the cookie cutters. I got a star and a heart shape." He handed them to me.

I cut out the cookies, while he placed them on the cookie sheet. Paxton then placed the cookie sheet in one of the ovens.